To cdmonson: Surroundings of Banff

• Hello Clark,

My apologies for not having answered earlier. I took this picture on Icefield Parkway from Jasper to Banff but I cannot remember where precisely. I just stepped out from the car to take it, so if you pass on this road one day, you'll probably recognise the place.

Thank you also for your critique. I admit that I am a bit surprised that my pics do not get a lot of attention; I observe that people get points when they give points to others, no matter the quality of the image. I don't believe that it is the right way to learn and to get better. I will nevertheless do my best to give my input in the next future.

Have a great day,

Alexandre
  • Hi Alexandre:

Ah, gotcha. It didn't look like anything near the most visited areas of Banff, so I wondered whether it was the Icefields Parkway. Wonderful drive.

I'm with you on the points system here. Points really don't have much to do with talent. There are some photographers who get lots of points who deserve them, but by and large it's related to the number of critiques given, like you say. Not that most critiques are even that helpful--I often feel like the critiques make very little sense and involved very little thought on the part of the person who wrote them. I don't mind when people don't know much about photography, but <i>anyone</i> can come up with at least something helpful.

So I guess we'll keep posting and sorting through largely useless critiques (of those that come) to find that occasional nugget that makes us better photographers. There's got to be a better way, though, eh?

Clark