Less Critiques or only a bad feeling? - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 10:55 PM
TE Newbie

Default Less Critiques or only a bad feeling?

Hello Treakearth community,

this should not be a critique to the trekearth members. Normally I'm using trekearth webpage to share my fotos with other members and more important to show my pics to my friends over this platform. I'm not really dependent on this critiques. I by myself I'm a idle skitter to write some picture critiques. One reason maybe is, english is not my first language and I have difficults for it, but I try to write down my minds to say what I feel when I look at one picture.
Now creep over me that the trekearth members gives less critiques for the shown pictures as in former times. Is this right or is this only an bad feeling what I have??? This should be an open discussion, not a discussion about "you get what you give"... Thxs

Regards
Make
Old 10-31-2010, 11:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Smile I don't think so...

Hi Make,

Based on your question I did a check on the amount of critiques from midnight until now on the last day of October. And I found 184 (and a half) pages of critiques from 0:00 till 16:17.

I'm not quite sure about the number of critiques per page, but I think there's usually ten, which adds up to almost 1900 critiques in less than 3/4 of one day.

I don't know about former times, but I don't think you have to be alarmed about the numbers of critiques today...

Best regards,
Kaj (kajenn)
Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Make, I think your observation is correct.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Hello Mario,

i think this discussion is old now but at the same time very up to date.

One of the problems is that many of the members who usually took time to really give a critique are gone off the site for many reasons, maybe the reasons why this forum is very less frequented and interesting when compared with some years ago.
But also this is a problem of "you get what you give", explaining: if you really participate a lot, with critiques, you'll be better known and you'll get the better possibilities of others checking your work - not saying with this give me a critique i'll return one, let this be clear.

But you are right when you say the critiques are getting very rare, and the usefull ones that really are a critique and not a comment are almost a "mirage",,,
If you knew this site 4 years or more ago then you would see the real TE but these times are gone for a while and unfortunately the tendency is to get worse judging by the last events....

Nevertheless, and let me be fair with our MOD's and site owners, still this is by far IMO the best place to get some juicy discussion, and not only "nice photo, check my gallery"; or "cool" or something like this which doesn't teach you a penny.

Cheers,
Paulo
Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 AM

I don't think there are fewer critiques being posted than in the past, but there are far more images posted each day than was the case a few years ago.
The increase in images has 2 immediate effects -

1. New images disappear from the first page(s) far more quickly and are therefore less likely to be noticed by other members with limited time on the site.

2. More images but no increase in critiques means fewer critiques per image.

You can raise your visibility on the site by critiquing other people's work as many, myself included, will tend to look at work submitted by those critiquing their work. I would add that I don't automatically respond with a reciprocal critique, I'm just more likely to view their work.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
TE Newbie

Sorry to everyone,
because I started a discussion and I didn´t replay to the answers. I think "Vato_Law" you´re right. A lot of the "old" Trekearth members are gone. I had a couple of international friends on this page, but they left this platform. !!!Unfortunately!!!
This was a photographer webpage and you got always some critiques to improve your photographic quality. Now when you get a critique (also when the taken picture ist great or bad) you will ever get smooth critiques. It seems real critiques aren´t no longer welcome on trekearth.

Regards
Mario
Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 PM
TE Senior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by make View Post
Sorry to everyone,
because I started a discussion and I didn´t replay to the answers. I think "Vato_Law" you´re right. A lot of the "old" Trekearth members are gone. I had a couple of international friends on this page, but they left this platform. !!!Unfortunately!!!
This was a photographer webpage and you got always some critiques to improve your photographic quality. Now when you get a critique (also when the taken picture ist great or bad) you will ever get smooth critiques. It seems real critiques aren´t no longer welcome on trekearth.

Regards
Mario
hehehe
funny, you're talking about members who are gone to somebody (Vato_Law) who just left the site... irony irony