Request to publish a photo for free - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-05-2006, 03:47 PM
TE Expert

Default Request to publish a photo for free

Hello Everyone
I have just received a request from someone to publish a photo of mine (from trekearth) in an atlas for free but in exchange of including my name in the credits and for receiving one of the atlases.

I was wondering your opinion regaring this.
Should I allow them to do it.
SHould I ask for any compnsation.
Has anyone else received such request?

Thanks for your input

regards

Daniel
Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Request to publish a photo for free

If you are happy for the image to be used on the basis suggested I would say go for it.
Make certain that you have a written agreement regarding the terms and conditions of use of your image. That you have given permission for the image to be used in that publication ONLY and that you retain the copyright of the image.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:53 PM
TE Expert

Ce monsieur va sūrement gagner de l'argent grāce ą ta photo.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Banned

Considering what you wrote and what Didi has said, I think it would be unfair to you, I don't think you should agree to this dumping of people fishing for "free" amateur photos, price depends on purpose, importance of publication and country where published but definitely request some money !
Old 02-05-2006, 05:03 PM
TE Expert

Hi Daniel,

My own position on that is it depends if the person will make money or not. If they will sell the atlas, than I would refuse. And I would hope that everybody would refuse. If it is for a non-profit organisation that I believe in their goals, I will accept for free. But, I don't think it is the case here.

Claire
Old 02-05-2006, 07:23 PM
TE Expert

You should never give away you pictures for free when their to used in a commercial or profit project. If someone is going to make money out of your shot, you should get payed for it.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:42 PM
TE Senior Member

I've gotten similar requests, the last time they offered to send me a copy of the atlas once it's published, that was not a bad deal I guess but I ignored it as usual, these members do not have any photos of their own uploaded, they seem to joining to get e-mail access, I don't expect to make money from my photos but I feel why should someone else profit from them???
Old 02-06-2006, 06:44 AM
TE Newbie

I have received requests in the past and except for one I refused to cooperate. And I should not have cooperated regarding that particular one too.
There are a lot of people out there who try to get photos for free and then sell them for their own profits. It may sound tempting when they promise to send you a copy of a book (or having your name mentioned). Why would they do that unless they get paid for the photo? And even then it is not very likely you will ever receive anything. Are you going to travel to the other end of the world to see if any justice is done? It is almost impossible to check what they will happen with your image.
Act like a business man. Ask them sign the appropriate forms and them they will probably back off.
To save time it is better to refuse. Judging your photos you have clearly potential to sell your photos yourself. I guarantee you will make money by uploading your scans to stock agencies. Send me a message for info.
Pieter
Old 02-06-2006, 10:23 AM
TE Junior Member

take serius atension to what keitht capthaddock and strangiato said.
especialy keitht, cause since you got something written and validated legaly, you got a stand to protect the copyrights of what you give.
One time i've been asked and gave 40 photos of an athletical event to a magazine in poland. all i asked was 2 copies of the magazine what i got was absolutely nothing, not even an answer cause as capthaddock said, these guys make emails and account in trek in order to take your photos and thenthey get lost.
The day i gave them my photos they asked me for my exact address and name and since then nothing, not even a reply at my mails nothin nothin. :-(
Old 02-06-2006, 10:39 AM
TE Newbie

I agree that payment should be made, unless the requestor is a definite not-for-profit charity or the like. Photographic images are tangible property, like anything else you own.