What makes you happpy - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-27-2006, 03:59 AM
TE Expert

Default What makes you happpy

Here is another behavioural query about photographs and TE from me today:

I was wondering what do TE members take into account while considering how well their photo was recieved on TE?

Some possible options/components
a. number of views
b. favourites recieved
c. number of critiques recieved
d. length of critiques
e. number of new people critiquing photo (I mean non regular visitors to the gallery).

for me the objective approach to judge how well my photo was recieved by the community is to take into account the number of non-regular visitors to my gallery who left a critique.
More Precisely: My criteria would be the combination of many components but the principal component would be "e".

ADAM: If you think that I am infringing upon TOS by putting behavioural questions in Photography forum, let me know, I will shut my mouth about human behaviour about percieving photographs
NOTE: I do not use any of the information provided by TE members for research or anything ... I am just a person who is curious about behaviour. ... lols ... I am just a geographer.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:01 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: What makes you happpy

most
a concise to the point precise modest evaluation as a critique, not an oracle
and
e.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:04 AM
TE Expert

f.taking photos
Hi Sarju,you forgot this one.At least for me,this choice precedes all the others and is sufficient in itself.
Have a good trip and be happy shooting.Don't forget,i want to see your pictures eventually.
Take care friend
Charles
Old 07-27-2006, 06:10 AM
TE Expert

In this order

1. number of favorites
2. length/quality of critiques. Id take a negative one that was of good quality showing that the photo, even if it had faults, was able to get a response out of someone. Photography is art. It doesnt have to appeal to everyone, and it SHOULDNT, but it SHOULD get reactions, provoke.
3. Number of critiques
4. Points.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:36 AM
TE Expert

I must say I really appreciate when someone fishes out a pix I uploaded quite a while ago. It is just nice to get the feeling a photo is just not lost deep in some archival state.

And all the more so as I post rarely nowadays and seldom get feedback from many members though I took the pain to spend time looking at, and writing about, their shot.

Also, I multiply all my points by 4, so it tells me exactly how good is the shot in reality, if i was cultivating the critiquing friendship of value-adding members on a daily basis.... :-)))))))))))))))))))))
Old 07-27-2006, 06:58 AM
TE Senior Member

I consider points to be a valuable tool when making comparisons with your own photos, so if I have a photo that goes well beyond my usual average of 10 to 20 points then I'm happy with that.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:51 AM
TE Junior Member

Well, if I get one really heartfelt critique- I'm good with that. Getting at least 10 points also makes me quietly happy, but its not a must have.
When I clicked on the link I thought it was just in general what makes you happy- that would be Hershey’s chocolate bars and my dog. Haa- I’m such a nerd.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Banned

LOL... that comments attached to my photo degenerate into 100+-posts bistrot forum threads ;-))
Old 07-27-2006, 12:02 PM
TE Expert

Thanks for your excellent feedback.
I agree with most of you that there is nothing like a heart felt critique that makes us feel special. The feeling that someone took a special time just for us.

But I was talking more in terms of objectivity.

Thanks again
ciao ... sarju
Sarju who is leaving on his first short trek (four days) in the himalayas today.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
TE Expert

Have a fantastic trek, Sarju, and..... watch your step!

H