Any TE using LINUX OS? Open source - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
TE Expert

Default Any TE using LINUX OS? Open source

I wonder how many TE members use Linux OS-based open source software?

I have used Linux from Redhat 5 since 1998 to Redhat 9, then Fedora, Opensuse, Mandrake, Mandriva etc

You can run your PC without any hard drive, just LIVE on CD and try the Linux OS, then choose option if you wish to install it onto your hard drive.

In recent years, many distributions have come out that allow you to run your PC 'live' off a CD-ROM without a hard disk drive. Examples like
Ubuntu
Knoppix

And some very small Linux such as
Damn Small Linux DSL which fits 50MB to mini-CD

If you are interested, many more distributions are available from
Distrowatch
Slax

Cheers
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Any TE using LINUX OS? Open source

Bill, it is Suse 10.3 and 11.0 and I forgot the Ubuntu one and and and..

Some of mine have dual system software, but I miss a 16-Bit free or cheap software for photos..
Gimp in all its quality is to my knowledge an 8-bit one.

A long long time ago I used OS/2 and still have my old licence :-) Ulf
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: (to UnTrained) is 16 bits so important?

That's one of the reason that sometimes make me believe that I do wrong in not experimenting PS, but I have invested so much in knowing Gimp...

I think I have read somewhere that the next major version of Gimp will be 16 bits, and/or that there are people working on Gimp code to make it work with 16 bits.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 AM
TE Expert

I guess you are more interested in knowing who is doing their PP works in Linux rather than who uses Linux.

I have been using Linux in servers for more than 13 years and since at least 8 years sometimes I think it's time that I use it as desktop OS as well, but when I remember that I'll still need Windows to do this or that for my job, I end up giving up.

I started with Slackware but I adopted Suse pretty early, which is still my preferred distribution. Most of my servers at work run OpenSuse 10.2 and 10.3. I had 2 or 3 Red Hat's in the recent past (I still have one RHEL 9[?]) that is technically under my supervision, but in the practice no one cares for it and its installation and administration was always done by a colleague of mine). I still administer two Debian systems that I want to replace one of these days (or years :-) and recently I had to give a hand in a couple of installations of Ubuntu.

Nevertheless, for photography I only use open source and/or free software, apart from an occasional use of the Olympus software that came with my camera. I use XNview, Gimp, Raw Therapee and Hugin. I use XNview mainlyfor browsing, and organising, but sometimes also for a little, very basic PP. Gimp is for every serious PP. Raw Therapee for pre-processing raw files (interestingly sometimes it can do better than the Olympus software in "straight" conversions from raw, although the main reason for my preference for it is that it has much more features). I use Hugin for stitches.

TC
Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 AM
TE Expert

For posting to TE, 16bits is not a factor, right?

I had problem with Gimp on Nikon's raw NEF file direct conversion on linux Os. Then the problem of reading Raw NEF files from memory cards to the OS.

But since 1996, I have used 1.44MB single-floppy linux systems such as (just to share my experience)

.tomsrtbt as trouble-shooting and rescue disk
.Freesco router as Router before hardware device prices drop

.still use some linux distros as server for my 486 old machines
.still use linux RedHat9 as desktop and
.running win2000 inside linux RH9 using VMWare

.running RH Enterprise 3 as server

In any case, linux browser gives a better screen monitor as good as Apple OS than microsoft windows (right?)

Thanks. Regards, bill
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 AM
TE Junior Member

The 16 bit keeps more quality in the PP steps and keeps this quality in my larger TIFs. Ulf
Old 10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
TE Expert

Personnaly, I use Ubuntu 8.04 and it suits me very well for my use... As against I never managed to make my scanner slide over.
Good WE