To Royaldevon: belarus - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2020-04-08 5:58

Hello Gert,

You seem to be almost apologising for posting these photographs but there is definitely no need. I bet you had fond memories revisiting them and, for me, I have enjoyed sharing them, for they show details of a place that I have never visited. It looks like a very family orientated place, quite laid back!
It's like a blast from the past, seeing children playing on a pavement. In fact there is a lot happening on the pavement, other than it being an alfresco cafe!
I love the w/s with the man and wife in the boat.
I presume he is fishing, whilst she steadies the boat.
What a different existence, that is!
This is what we learn, almost incidentally, when we share photographs, besides the skill of the photographer.

I noticed, on my Ipad, that only Sweden and perhaps Belarus are not imposing lockdowns.
Keep safe, Bev :-)

Old 04-08-2020, 01:52 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: belarus

Thank you Bev for your kind comments.

I don't know on what grounds the government of Belarus is basing its decision to avoid a lockdown. In Sweden such decisions are based on the advice of politically independent expert agencies following scientific research and analyses. A total lockdown, as in so many countries, would be an infringement of the individual's rights and freedom of movement that would be against the constitution. The government can not declare this kind of emergency measures except during a war. Instead there is a very intense information campaign telling us to keep a distance to other persons, wash our hands carefully and regularly, stay home if we have any kind of symtoms, etc.

We will not know for quite some time which strategy was the best. So far I can't see any clear evidence that a strict lockdown has resulted in less spread of the virus and fewer deaths, or that the softer and more educative Swedish strategy, appealing to each individual's good senses, means a rapidly increasing number of cases.

Kind regards,

Gert
Old 04-08-2020, 04:05 PM
TE Expert

Hello Bev and Gert,

As to Belarus, Lukashenka calls a coronavirus a “psychosis” that can be fought with vodka, saunas and driving tractors. He has further suggested that "panic can hurt us more than the virus itself."
I do not know how reliable are the data from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?
Up tp now, there were only 13 deaths in Belarus. They are in a way locked down as a country. In Sweden, only today there were 96 deaths. Total 687, it makes 68 per Million. It is quite a lot, more than in the USA or Germany.

Anyway, I stay home, we are in the group of high risk. And when is something to buy in the shop, I prefer going by myself than to send my family members.
Best regards

MAlgo
Old 04-08-2020, 05:14 PM
TE Expert

Yes, far too many, but considerably fewer than Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands or the UK. So nothing is proven. We will have to wait and see.
And this is not a competition, but various governments and health authorities trying their best in different ways to avoid a complete disaster.
Gert