To emka: Physics..........! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2019-08-31 0:06

Hello John, Remind me nest year in advance about this festival in Edinbourgh. I would like to see it. Fantastic three pictures with this guy juggling the crystal ball. Amazing that there are fine reflections in all positions, and so sharp. Of course, the red nose is eyecatching. Can you see yourself reflected in the ball?
have a nice weekend

MAlgo

Old 08-31-2019, 09:52 AM
TE Expert

Talking To emka: Physics..........!

Dear Malgo,

Thank you for your kind words about this picture! Yes, the Edinburgh Festival (and the associated "Fringe") takes place in August each year, occupying about three weeks. See here and here. Yes, there are lots of things to see and do but the city becomes very busy at festival time and accommodation also becomes difficult and very expensive too.

Yes, the man with the glass sphere (or "crystal ball"). The image we see in the ball is the result of refraction, not reflection! And I thought that you were a physicist! Here is a picture of another guy I took in Edinburgh a few years ago. So the image we see in the ball is just an inverted capture of what is behind it - and it acts like a very wide-angle lens. In fact, you can buy these acrylic spheres from Amazon and some people use them for some interesting and experimental photography.

Kindest Regards,

John.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:04 PM
TE Expert

Talking

Hello John, How stupid of me . Gert also made this mistake with the other photo but he is journalist and not the physicist. Shame for me . We usually see the reflections in the mirrors that I forget that it can be something transparent. But strange that in one picture the juggler is well visible on the side. I it reminds me Escher's graphics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_w...lecting_Sphere. But there a ball is a mirror.
You were the only (!) person who looked at my movie with the draw bridge. Thanks .
Have a nice Sunday

MAlgo