To jean113: Thank you, Jean! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great jean113 2019-05-12 9:59

Hello John, this is an excellent observation, made even more interesting by the way that the person, ( sorry I can’t decide on the gender,) is scrutinising the map. Maybe they are from Italy!
Did you ask permission of the person to take the shot, or were you a little way away?
It doesn’t matter, it is a great way to introduce us to some of Leonardos’ less well known work.
The orientation of the map is very interesting.
Thank you for your notes.
Regards Jean.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM
TE Expert

Default To jean113: Thank you, Jean!

Hello jean,

Thank you for your kind words about this one.

To be honest, it was so dim in here (presumably to avoid any light damage to these 500 year old artworks) and the place was so busy that it was difficult to get much time or opportunity to study individual drawings. I should have liked to linger a bit longer to view them all in more detail (I think there were about a dozen) but as soon as one group of people left, the place just filled up again. So I saw most of them, tried to take some pictures of some (without flash or tripod of course) and manged also to snap a couple like his with an onlooker.

As for the gender of this person, I am pretty sure she was a woman. Without wanting to be either sexist or critical in any way, she was of slender build with close cropped hair and appeared as though she looked after herself from the fitness point of view, probably quite serious and "intellectual" and perhaps being vegan and probably also teetotal. I was actually quite close behind the lady and I'm afraid I just snapped away without asking - but she didn't appear to be aware of me - was that bad?

Yes, the map is interesting, isn't it? And apparently of remarkable accuracy - though I see from the note on the website to which I referred, that Leonardo has the River Po running in the wrong direction. But that in my mind is perfectly acceptable considering what technology was available at the time. In fact, I'm reminded that Andreas Vesalius, just a very few years later, in 1542, published his seven books on human anatomy and the details he recorded were truly remarkable: however, the knowledge of physiology at the time was scant and, although Vesalius described the brain in exquisite and very accurate detail, his belief was (because the brain is surrounded by a thin layer of fluid) that the brain existed purely to provide fluid for the nose.

Thank you once again, Jean.

Kind Regards,

John.