To holmertz: Date corrected! - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2019-11-07 1:08

Hello John,
Either you were a great car lover already in 1965 (you should correct the "Date Taken" in the information box), or it was just impossible to avoid the cars. They could be seen today as disturbing the view, but even I admit that they give the photo an unbeatable sign of the times. I have a feeling I was staying somewhere at this square during my first visit to Lisbon in 1984, at a rather primitive Pensăo as far as I remember, but I can't recall whether it was still full of cars.
Your method of "scanning" seems to be working very well. Maybe it's even more reliable than my way of doing it. The colours have come out beautifully and it seems you can avoid having the sky full of annoying noise.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 11-07-2019, 03:29 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Date corrected!

Hello Gert,

Thank you so much for your kind remarks and also for letting me know that I had inadvertently forgotten to enter the correct date for this one - obviously TE had automatically found the date when I had photographed the slide with my digital camera.

Yes, I had been interested in cars for quite some time before this - just as I still am though I have to confess that modern cars interest me a lot less than older ones. In fact, at this time (and aged seventeen) I was learning to drive in a car exactly the same as the one in the foreground (a Ford Anglia) though, of course, the one on which I was learning in Scotland was right hand drive. And, come to think of it, you poor people in Sweden were just about to change from driving on the left to driving on the right a couple of years later! I can imagine that must have been quite chaotic for a few months.

Anyway, although I was indeed interested in cars, I think the main reason for including all these vehicles in the photo was simply that there was probably no way of avoiding them if I wanted to include both the column and the fountain. It must be so much more pleasant to walk around central Lisbon - and photograph it - these days.

Yes, I am very pleased with the way this slide copying has turned out. For only around Ł20 from Amazon I bought a simple light box - a very slim A4 sized LED screen which runs off a 5 volt usb connection. Basically I simply lie the slide on the screen and photograph it with a digital camera with a macro lens. Apart from providing some sort of stability to the arrangement - either the camera on a tripod or else the screen and slide sitting vertically and the camera supported on a table next to it - it's very straightforward. And I can then crop and edit the image in Photoshop and do my best to clone out 54 years' worth of attic dust.

If the original photo has been taken well with fairly accurate exposure (like this one) then the results seem to be quite good. However, if the exposure is less than perfect (as in my last picture of the car turning a corner close to the camera), the underexposed area of the car does indeed show quite a bit of noise - but I think that's probably quite excusable!

Kind Regards,

John.