disliking your old work - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-23-2006, 05:47 AM
TE Expert

Default disliking your old work

How do you feel? Im undergoing a change in how I shoot photos, I think thats normal. As a consequence of this I have a real dislike for many of my old images. So much so that Ive just gone through my flckr gallery and purged about 30 shots from it. I will leave them on TE, because people took time to critique them.

I guess the question is, how do you feel about photos you shot in the past?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: disliking your old work

It is perfectly natural to dislike one's old work - I'd say it's inevitable. Hell, I'm ready to DELETE what I uploaded last month, hee hee.

I may be wrong but I much prefer what I shot last week in Hanoi than, say, what I shot a year ago in Hoi An or Saigon (to much bloody bokeh used indescriminately, not enough dyanmism and reportage value).

I really like how you bring out these vulnerable matters which we can all synmpathize with, Rafal. I mean - I KNOW what you're talking about, man. Believe me!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
TE Junior Member

I understand. One day I was doing some house cleaning, and thought "hey, I should get rid of some junk on-line." I probably went a little overboard and ended up deleting about 40 shots. I felt a little better afterward. If you wanted to get rid of some of your old stuff and improve the overall look of your portfolio, it's up to you. I do understand about the 'learn from other's mistakes' theory, but personally, I'd rather be inspired from your best work.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 AM
TE Senior Member

Not only should you be leaving them there for their critiques, but it also allows you and other people to see how you've progressed as a photographer. If you're still on this site in 10 years time, how good would it be to be able to track your progression through the years, you may also find yourself going back to a style you once hated.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:48 AM
TE Expert

I will leave them here..if only for the points;) Joking. I dont hate that style, just doesnt appeal to me. But also I think the stuff I erased from flickr was weak, it wasnt just about style, it was about photos I feel no longer have anything to say.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
TE Senior Member

I've deleted a couple of older photos a while ago but thats only because they were technically flawed and not really because of style. Sometimes I look at photos I've taken 12 months ago and think that I may have been a better photographer then.

Mind posting a couple of examples of the style which you are talking about?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 AM
TE Expert

The opposite can be very true too ...
You could be very taken by a new approach at a certain moment that you start to dislike older shots ...
but when there is some time going over it
sometimes you rediscover values in older shots that you lost under the way
so it is still best to keep reminders that could inspire again how to improve.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 AM
TE Expert

true, true.
I did purge my Flcir account of them but kept them on PBase.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:21 PM
TE Senior Member

I think this is a good question. While I can sa that I still like some of my older shots, I do know I have become more fussy abut what I consider acceptable now. Certainly I have come to expect more of myself. I do think that what Henk says below makes some sense too. As our styles change, so will our likes. Like fashion, what we dislike now might be in style again at some point.

I do like that you kept your shots here for a few reasons. First, I agree wtih you that it is somewhat disrespectful to wipe out the work of those who have critiqued your stuff. Secondly, it does give a timeline of how we have improved as time passes.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Yes, I delete photos sometimes, especially I have deleted quite a number of my initial uploads, having become unsatisfied with them with the time spent on TE. I don't know if I've become a better photographer in these 4 months, probably not, but I have certainly become much more critical to my own work... As for my recent uploads, it is also sometimes tempting to delete a photo. It is strange, sometimes you see it is bad only after you have uploaded it, and it doesn't have anything to do with points actually. For example, last week I have deleted a photo after having received a number of positive critiques for it, and I was so sorry about people who took their time to write a critique, but I couldn't help it, I just started to hate the picture myself...