To Floydian: 'was there a lot of time to wait?' - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Floydian 2009-01-16 11:40

Hello Kath,

Much much much better than the previous version. Much better light and colour in here and with those textures on the sand with full sunlight and those little patches of green makes it very good. Than seeing the workshop. Damn, the sunlight on the pole is much better than here, but although the moon looks nice, it doesn't have this wonderful sand and forground as we see here. What to do....wait (was there a lot of time to wait?), or finding different pov's?
It's not easy, i ask too much, i know. I have seen perfect pictures taken by pro's who probably hire a private guide for only taking pictures in a certain area, not for exploring the a large part of the park. Maybe they stay for several days, a certain time of the year, knowing when the light is on his best under a certain angle....who knows.
You know what...i wish i was with you there, because making these pictures is what we all want, so don't pay too much attention to my words, as always i ask too much when it comes to locations i have in my mind but never have been myself ;-)
It's a great shot Kath...i'm just jealous that i was not there :P

Have a great weekend,

Henk

Old 01-16-2009, 08:20 PM
TE Expert

Default To Floydian: 'was there a lot of time to wait?'

Thanks Henk
I went back to the RAW files to look at the metadata to answer your question as I couldn't remember exactly how many different places the guide stopped around Totem Pole. I think twice after the sunrise (3 altogether). The place where I took the one in the WS hadn't too many possibilites and he only stopped there because of the position of the moon. The second stop we were there for a while wandering around and finding our own PsOV, although he made one or two suggestions. I have some without plants and just the ripples of the dunes, but I like this one best. The only reason we didn't want to wait is because the sun was getting higher all the time and there were other places to see. We left him about 10:30 and met up again late afternoon. I think you'd have to go a few times before you knew the best time for each location. At $220 a go that wasn't an option. It might be worth a non-photographic tour first (cheaper) to see the locations and then a photographic tour the next day. As a side note my tripod has never been the same since; with all the sand!
Take care
Kath
Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To Floydian: 'was there a lot of time to wait?'

Interesting story Kath.
Four day out cost me almost 900 dollar....well i hope that the dollar sinks even further away than he did last year ;-)
You are right about going a few times, but at 220 it's almost no option. Going twice is, but still not enough time to see it all they way you have in mind. How many guides are there, do they all look with a photographic eye and do they all count 220?

Take care,

Henk
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Floydian: 'was there a lot of time to wait?'

The business we went with belongs to Tom Phillips (and yes he's a Navajo, even with an anglicised name)but he was camping with clients on Hunt's Mesa, so we had his colleague, who must have been at least 70 years old. He said he had been doing photo tours for over 40 years. We were just Rob and I in his 4WD and it was $220 each for the two sessions; 05:45 to 10:30 and then 16:00 to 19:30 in Mystery Valley. He pointed out where he thought were the best PsOV, but also gave you time to find your own. Sometimes there was a bit of climbing so you probably wouldn't find those positions for yourself. We didn't feel hurried but were aware if we took too long we would probably miss some places. We went to a few other places mainly to see arches and petroglyphs and a couple of locations where MV buttes were framed by trees etc and where you wouldn't get to on the self-guided tour. derek3755 on TE recommended them. Here is the <a href='http://www.monumentvalley.com/Pages/english_tours.html'target=_blank>link</a> The photo tours are about ˝way down the page, so don't confuse them with the sunrise tours that are non-photographic. I phoned and booked from home and then confirmed the day before, as I had nothing in writing and I didn't fancy driving out there at that time of morning only to find he'd forgotten! ;D. It is quite a lot of money but we both thought it was worth it.
Hope that answers your questions
Take care
Kath