Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2011-10-11 3:54

Hello Brian,

A true picture of autumn - beautiful yellows, reds and browns and a fabulous moody sky to top it off. As usual, exquisite detail and sharpness and perfect exposure and composition.

Beautiful!

Kind Regards,

John.

P.S. Can I ask you something? I see from your accompanying "equipment" notes that you used a UV filter. Did you also use a Grad filter to keep that sky dark while still allowing the bright reflections of the water? Or did you manage to darken the sky later in processing?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: No Grad Filter

Hello John

thanks for your kind words and question.

I did not use a graduated filter, but the sky was somewhat flat when I got home and looked at the images of the day. So a light grey graduated filter was added, just enough to give the clouds a little more definition.

Strangely when I was taking this shot, a woman was also lurking under the trees, waiting for the sun to make a re-appearance and taking similar shots as me. She was using a lot of kit and this included a series of slide-in cokin filters, which I can only assume were grads. I could not get close enough to see what she was using. Perhaps she knew something I didn't. She did not look like she wanted to discuss techniques or ideas!

Amazingly I also saw a guy hiding under the trees puting a new film in his SLR camera. Would love to see his results and compare film to digital.

Thanks again - Brian.