Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great marcan44 2011-10-11 8:19

Ciao Brian,
great shot and gorgeous scenery with the fall colors.
A very nice POV with stones and leaves in the foreground and then, gradually, the lake, reflections, vegetation, and finally the sky.
Excellent work.
Forgive my curiosity is HDR?
Best wishes
Mario

Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To marcan44: Hdr ?

Hi Mario

this shot is a blend of lightened and darkened images using Sony's Image Data Converter Software.

All my images are shot in RAW format, and converted to TIFF using Sony's software, before blending in Photoshop.

I do tend to produce a lot of versions, before settling on the one that I feel works the best.

I do make notes as I go along so that I can repeat a technique if it works or pleases me.

Thanks for your interest and kind comments.

Brian.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Default is HDR?

Thanks for your replay.
All your images are shot in RAW format, and converted to TIFF using Sony's software, before blending in Photoshop.

I seemed to understand that you do not use Photomatix and tone mapping,
but use the program Photoshop, File, Automate, as HDR Blend ..
Right?
Have a nice day
Mario
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Post Processing

Hi Mario

I do often use HDR blending but definitely not in isolation, I experiment with various techniques and little nuances that I have developed myself. This is where it is important to make and keep notes and not to over elaborate.

I do like the impact of HDR photography but cannot say I like it when it is overdone. My Sony A850 has a Dynamic Range Optimizer programme, which automatically compensates to improve image quality.

I believe that post-processing tools and software are there to help and used to enhance the amazing developments in digital photography. But they should be used for enhancement and not dominance. Sony's software includes an array of creative styles, which I enjoy experimenting with.

Shooting in RAW means these can be added in the digital darkroom rather than in camera.

I think it is important to create your own style of photography.

It may surprise you to know that I still use my original Photoshop Elements 2 programme as an initial starting point when looking at images! A programme that I have been using for over 10 years now. I then move into a more up to date Photoshop programme.

I have an array of software programmes in my digital darkroom and this includes the programme from Photomatix, I like the latter's Exposure Fusion programme.

Thanks again for your interest.

Brian.