To SnapRJW: contrast - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great SnapRJW 2012-11-08 1:34

Hello Ann - I like this simple composition which details a familiar aspect of Vietnamese life. The slight diagonal line of the boat and the reflections are very attractive. Isn't the SE Asian connection to water and life lived in and around it wonderful?

I can see the light was challenging and quite contrasty across the fishermen. I wonder if it would be possible to bring out a little more detail across the shadow areas and soften the contrast a tad? And I see the faintest halo around the prow of the boat which you may be able to soften.

The negative comments aside, this is a very attractive and iconic image. Warm regards Rosemary

Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To SnapRJW: contrast

Hi Rosemary,
I was in two minds about this one as it needed a fair amount of post-processing and I may have increased the midtone contrast a bit too much. I also did more USM than usual so I have reduced the amount that I did post-resizing and put as a WS. I think the halo maybe reduced a bit (which I can't see on the picture unless it is resized to TE regs). Is there any way that we can view our images full size on TE before finally pressing the submit button? If so I haven't found it!
Thanks as usual for your interest and comments.
Best wishes, Ann
Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
TE Expert

Smile Better I think

Hello Ann - I think the WS has made an improvement. The shot has a 'cleaner' look to my eye.

I don't know if you have tried this as a final post resizing sharpen. I found it worked better for me than the USM. I so my USM as a final PP step. Then resize for upload and finally sharpen with the high pass at radius of about 0.50 px. It seems to give a smoother result for uploading. You can also blend it on selected channels i.e. Chrominance or Luminanace and that's worth looking at.

I think that the resizing of a large image for TE also gives problems. I uploaded an ellie pic yesterday which has the same problems. On the original size I see nothing.

As to whether we can 'preview' our shots before the final submit... I don't think so but what a great idea. I wonder if it would be possible to develop such a service? Maybe we should ask the Tech Team.

Are you all unpacked now? Washing done and packed away? That's the worst thing about holidays isn't it?

Have a lovely evening and it's really good to have you back.

Rosemary
Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Unpacked

Thanks Rosemary for helpful comments.
Things are difficult and busy as my dad fractured his hip while we were away. My son did a fabulous job co-ordinating things but I am trying to take the weight off his shoulders now by sorting my dad's care out and also doing extra shifts with baby-minding (although that is no hardship!). TE at least takes my mind off things when I have some spare time.
Best wishes, Ann