Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great MJR 2014-04-02 2:20

Gorgeous !

One word is actually enough, but why use one word when twenty will do ! So a second observation, your first outing with your new toy two posts ago was also very pleasing. I like the effects it gives, and the prominence it provides to the middle ground. Rather in the manner of the bokeh effect from a wide aperture. When I can give myself more time with my camera than currently one would be on my shopping list. Assuming Time and Finances coincide in any meaningful manner !

Hope all is well up north and the spring weather is suiting you.

kind regards
Martin

Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 AM
TE Expert

Default To MJR: Watendlath and ND filters........

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your kind remarks about this picture! Actually, I was thinking that you were here at the time I took this one - but, of course, you weren't. This was taken, I seem to recall, on the Saturday of our meeting in Keswick in 2011 and it wasn't until the Sunday that you and your family arrived and took us to Castlerigg and Threlkeld. But Watendlath was a delightful place.

Anyway, my new "toy" - that 10-stop ND filter - appears as though it might provide a little fun. Some of these filters are very expensive: I think the B&W one is around £100 and the square Lee one is similarly priced but I bought mine (a round 77mm screw-in one) from SRB Photographic (previously "SRB-Griturn") largely because one of their 3-stop ND filters had been tested in a photographic magazine and came out tops for quality and value, but also because I thought it was remarkably cheap at just £30. SRB's website and its catalogue are certainly worth a look because they have some very interesting and "hard to get" other stuff too, especially if you're into macro photography or if you fancy using some old lenses from another manufacturer on your camera (they have an amazing stock of weird adaptors), or if you fancy the idea of taking pictures down a microscope or through an astronomical telescope. Have a dekko.

Yes, the weather is certainly picking up here though we've not so far had the real warmth which they've been experiencing farther south.

Hoping that you are all well.

Kind Regards,

John.