Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2019-04-21 2:35

Hi John
oh i'm going to have to read this one.
I have a confession to make...if there was a public hanging going on...um, I'd watch :) Wouldn't you? haha...how often do you get to see a hanging???? Come on! That is one wild wacky story. Family Guy should do a 30 min episode on it where Stewie and Brian time travel to the 1700's :) Wonderful note, wonderful photo of nothing special, great post for TE!
cheers
Craig

Old 04-21-2019, 02:14 PM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: Great spectator sport!

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your kind words about this one! Actually you would not be the only person who would want to witness a public hanging - in those days thousands of people would gather around the scaffold just to watch someone being hanged. And people who lived in the old tall buildings in the street would "rent out" their windows, charging people money to go into their houses to get a good aerial view from their high windows!

I'm not sure if you've ever read Charles Dickens' novel "A Tale of Two Cities" but he describes the scene at the guillotine in Paris - a certain Madame Defage used to bring a seat and pass the time knitting while watching the heads rolling off into a big basket in front of her.

But, yes, Stewie and Brian have been back to the 16th century to meet Leonardo da Vinci, so I see nothing to stop them going back to 18th century Edinburgh!

Cheers,

John.