To PaulVDV: Rakhine state - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2019-07-21 14:25

Hello Elaine,
The photo exudes serenity, peace, tranquility and infinity.
Beautiful with the wavy lines of the separation between beach and water. Pretty light shining on the palm trees and nice reflections in the water.
You want to go back next year. Isn't Rakhine State the part of the country that had a lot of violence in the recent past?
Best regards, Paul

Old 07-27-2019, 10:18 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To PaulVDV: Rakhine state

You are correct Paul, Rakhine state has seen some of the worse violence in Myanmar's recent history. The burning of Rohinyga villages and the increased persecution of Rohingya's forcing many to flee to neighbouring Bangladesh. This took place in northern Rakhine state a place where I visited many years ago and stayed. This area in no longer permitted to travel for foreigners and who except brave journalist would want to. We know all too well what has happened there. The area I am showing you here is in the south, not really travelled by foreigners, but not because of violence just the lack of tourist infrastructure, therefore the area remains pure and untouched and long may it remain so.
best regards,
Elaine