Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2019-08-08 23:58

Hello Paul, Finally we see also the Indian ladies working in the tea plantations. Amusing note with the conversations with the men supervising the work. I had also such experience. They ask me many times in Russia "what are you doing?" I said - the photos. Have you permission? No. And nothing happened, I could take more pictures. They were just curious ar maybe they thong I was crazy.
Have a nice day

MAlgo

Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 AM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Oh, those Russians !

Thank you Malgo,

Funny story about Russia.
I would, however, feel a bit more worried in Russia than in India.

Best wishes,
Paul
Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 AM
TE Expert

A similar thing happened to me in Baku, when I was taking photos in the government district. I just said "tourist", which was enough.
Gert
Old 08-09-2019, 01:54 PM
TE Expert

Funny, Malgo.
Today 'tourist' can be the key word in Baku.

I visited Syria in 1987. There were very very few tourists then.
Sometimes people thought I was Russian because of a certain Russian military presence.
I told them that I was a tourist. But some of them didn't know what a tourist was. Once in a full bus I explained that a tourist comes to look at different interesting places and that a tourist also takes pictures.
One man replied with 'Oh, you're a journalist' and everyone on the bus suddenly looked worried
I quickly replied that I was not a journalist at all.
There was also a Turkish man in the bus. He worked in Syria and of course he knew what tourists were and he explained it in Arabic and everyone understood it.

Later I learned that tourists in Syria were often named 'Alman' (German).
I found it hard to present myself as an Alman but it helped

A friend of me travelled through Syria in the 1980s and then everyone knew what tourists were.

Best wishes,
Paul

Old 08-09-2019, 06:51 PM
TE Expert

In Transsiberian train, the woman who was in charge of the wagon ( so called provodnitsa) saw me taking the picture of the big kettle with the hot water. She was very surprised and asked why I was taking the photos. I explained that it would be souvenir. She was relieved, maybe she was afraid that I wanted to control something. The result was that later all the people around me wanted to see the pictures I made.(quite many in 60 hours). I even upload some on the pendrive of this provodnica.
M

Last edited by emka; 08-09-2019 at 06:57 PM.