Zdjêcia

Photographer's Note

Hello friends and colleagues, today I offer you this view of the tower and the facades of the port of the city of Lindau, in Bavaria, on the shores of Lake Bodensee. I hope you like it, then some letters about the city.

Lindau am Bodensee is a German city of 24 487 inhabitants, in the state of Bavaria. The old part is located on an island on the northwest coast of Lake Constance (Bodensee), linked to the mainland, by a viaduct and a bridge, where the new city develops.
It was until 1803 independent imperial city, to later pass to be annexed to Bavaria.

The district Aeschach (in mainland) shows traces of Roman colonization of the first century, although Lindau is not mentioned for the first time until 882 in a document of the monastery of Sankt Gallen.

The oldest building on Lindau Island is called Heidenmauer, a wall of colossal fortification, whose use is still doubtful. Due to an ancient inscription it is assumed that it was built by the Romans or the Langobards; hence its popular name "wall of the pagans." More recent works showed a medieval origin after the 8th century.
Around 1180 the church of St. Stephan was built, while in 1224 the Franciscan fathers founded a monastery on the island.

After the Reformation, Lindau would become Protestantism in 1528. The city represented in 1529 the Protestant minority in the Reichstag of Speyer. The inhabitants were united to the Tetrapolitana (formula of Bucer's creed) that tried to force the extinction of the reformed faith.

In the Thirty Years' War Lindau was attacked between 1646 to 1647 by the Swedes. Under the orders of Baron Max Willibald of Waldburg-Wolfegg, commander of the imperial army, the citizens defeated the Swedes by destroying the siege weapons in a raid at dawn. Today the remains of this struggle are buried on the island. After this war, the first party for children was inaugurated in 1655, inaugurated by Valentin Heider, to give hope to young people.
Every year, in all the schools, the canons announce the party in the morning. Students are given a traditional cake called Butschelle. After a parade, the mayor gives a speech to the youth in the town hall square, ending with the exclamation "Lindau", answered by the people with "Hoch" (Viva). The day ends with a folkloric party.

After the occupation by Napoleon Bonaparte, Lindau lost in 1802 his imperial privileges. King Baron August of Bretzenheim ceded the city and monastery to Austria in 1804. 1806 Austria gave both to the king of Bavaria.
In 1853 the railroad between the island and the mainland was built. In 1856 the only port of Bavaria was built in this city, with the statue of the famous lion on the pier, the symbolic animal of Bavaria.

In 1922 under the mandate of the mayor Ludwig Siebert the following towns were incorporated to the municipality of Lindau (Aeschach, Hoyren and Reutin). Ludwig Siebert, being a member of the German National Socialist Workers' Party, was named Gauleiter (Region Leader) of Bavaria in 1933.

During the Second World War French troops occupied Lindau on April 30, 1945 without any resistance. The city and the district were separated from Bavaria and converted into an area of ​​extraordinary right in the French occupation zone. In 1946, the government of the district of Lindau was employed without dependency neither of Bavaria nor of Baden-Württemberg. For almost ten years Lindau served to connect the French occupation zone in Germany with it in Austria. On September 1, 1955 Lindau was relocated to the state of Bavaria.
Source: Wikipedia.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D3100
Software: PhotoScape
Exposure Time: 10/10000 sec
F-Stop: f/6.3
ISO Speed Ratings: 400
Focal Length: 28 mm
Date Taken: 2012-07-09 10:04
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
File Size: 485 k

Photo Information
Viewed: 240
Points: 48
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by angel cornejo (cornejo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 4594 W: 5 N: 10078] (51500)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH