Photographer's Note

Temple of Hephaistos.

The Temple of Hephaistos, as seen from the Middle Stoa. The column capital in the foreground is of the Corinthian order.

The temple, known as the Theseion, is Doric and peripheral with a pronaos and opisthodomos. It crowns the hill of Kolonos Agoraios and is the most prominent and better preserved monument of the Agora.
The temple was dedicated to two gods, Hephaistos and Athena, whose bronze cult statues stood in the interior. It has also been proposed that the temple was dedicated to Eukleia (Artemis). The temple was richly decorated. The construction of the Hephaisteion started in 449 BC. Planting pits dating from the 3rd century BC show that the temple grounds were fully landscaped. In the 7th century AD it was converted to a Christian church.
The plan has a distinctive arrangement, the east porch being aligned with the third columns on the flanks. As in the Parthenon, over the porch the Doric frieze is replaced by a continuous Ionic frieze. The architrave, more suitably, has a continuous molding at the top, rather than regulae and guttae. The building is almost wholly of Pentelic marble, except the lowest of the three steps, which is limestone. This is the only temple left in Greece that still has a roof.


zo_tos, doubay oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 1582
Points: 4
  • None
Additional Photos by Aimilios Petrou (aimiliospet) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 63 W: 162 N: 486] (2355)
View More Pictures