Zdjêcia

Photographer's Note

The St. Peter's dome("er cupolone" for the Romans) photographed from the Janiculum hill in October of 2009 in late afternoon.

With its 136 meters high, its 42 meters in diameter (though slightly less than that of the Pantheon in Rome) and its 537 steps of the basilica is the emblem and a symbol of the entire city of Rome.

It rests on a high drum (built under the direction of Michelangelo), defined outside of a theory of coupled columns and open windows of sixteen rectangular, separated by as many ribs. Four huge pillars, 71 meters of the perimeter, the entire supporting structure, whose weight is estimated at 14,000 tons.
As mentioned, the dome was built in just two years by Giacomo Della Porta, the drawings of Michelangelo, who, however, had perhaps expected a dome perfectly spherical, at least as evidenced by the recordings of Stephen Duperac published shortly after his death . Even the wooden model of the dome, kept inside the church, helps to reveal the true intentions of Michelangelo. The model was built between 1558 and 1561, when the work of the drum had already been started, but was later changed and there are some substantial differences in the design of the dome and other ornamental details. After all, Michelangelo had reserved for himself the right to make changes to the structure of the whole church, for which there is no come down to us the final project, so the presence of a model was not strictly be considered binding for the achievement the work. [28] is shown, for example, the gables of the sixteen windows that mark the perimeter of the drum in the model are all triangular in shape, while the dome itself have alternating triangular and curved shapes.
In any case, the current configuration of the dome is due to Della Porta, who to prevent structural failures, construction, between 1588 and 1593, at the sixth floor, about 7 feet higher than Michelangelo, and laid the foundation with iron chains. Nevertheless, over the centuries, due to the appearance of dangerous lesions, especially in the drum, other interventions were necessary consolidation, by engineer Poleni, with the inclusion in the structure of the drum 5 other chains.
From the structural point of view consists of two overlapping caps, as already realized by Brunelleschi in Florence: the inner shell, thicker, is the carrier, while the outside, covered with lead plates and exposed to weathering, is protective the first. Eight hundred men worked on the completion of the dome, in 1593, was closed by the soaring lantern with twin columns.
(from Wikipedia)


Exif Data:
Nikon D80
Lens 18-135 mm
Focal length 85 mm.
Lens aperture f/6,3
Shutter speed 1/640
Software PS CS5

Photo Information
Viewed: 3352
Points: 120
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by mario carlos (marcan44) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 582 W: 74 N: 1351] (6315)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH