Zdjêcia

Photographer's Note

The "Castle", the palace of the Administrative Centre of Ingurtosu and Gennamari Mines,recently restored.

In the two previous post we discussed the production of the mine, which began in 1855 and finally ended in 1968.

The building you see in the post was built in 1870 when the mine was operated by the French company “Societè Anonime de Mines de Plomb Argentifére de Gennamari e Ingurtosu " in the village of Ingurtosu overlooking the valley of Is Animas.

It seems that the name Ingurtosu derives from "gurturgiu", a bearded vulture, typical of this valley.

The village was the administrative center of the two mines, Ingurtosu and the nearby Gennamari. In the village there were the direction, the company store, the post office, the employee housing, the hospital, the church, the cemetery.

President of the French company became the german Jörg Bornemann, who with a team of german engineers, began work with the scientific method.
In 1870 he built the Palace of Management, called the "Castle", because Bornemann, wanted him similar to his home (a castle) in Saxony.
In neo-Gothic style, was built atop a hill and overlooks the street with a bow, and he was clad in granite with mullioned windows in wood violet.
So the Germans who ran the mine wanted to breathe a little 'air of their homeland.
The building of the Directorate had also its symbolic function. The building fits the contours of the slope of the hill because that's where it should be, and nowhere else: from there the castle can dominate the whole valley in which the proceedings are conducted, and put there is visible from all sites, then open .

At the end of 800 years in 1899 the French company was taken over by Pertusola Mining Company Ltd. owned by the English Lord Thomas Brassey Alnutt who moved with his family in this village and fell in love with these lands strengthening, with a washery that bears his name (see previous post Ingurtosu # 2), the mines.

The mine, spurred especially by Lord Brassey, was equipped with a range of services not directly to the production function: a hospital for the care of physically threatening, and a church for the care of their souls (the church of Santa Barbara, patroness of miners, built in 1914 ) ordered and partially funded by the English lord.

The British businessman gave a paternalistic footprint in the mine.
This began to take care of his workers: they fed, housed them, cared for them, both in body and soul.
Also in this case can be made using the considerations made elsewhere symbolic space. However, Lord Brassey seems not to follow the line of blatant flaunting of power and hierarchy. His is a paternalistic government, reasonable, and somehow proves to consider its employees not only from the point of view productivist.

In WS#1 façade pan

In WS # 2 a view from the valley as the miners saw “the castle” from their homes

In WS#3 and WS#4 an image of the church and the memorial in memory of Lord Brassey built at the foot of the stairway to the desire and expense of Lady Idina wife of an English lord, and consists of an elegant marble column on a pedestal decorated with four lions that reminds to Trafalgar Square in London.



DATA EXIF
Camera Pentax K5
Iso 160
Shutter Speed 1/80
Aperure Lens: F/18
18-55 mm lens.
Focal Length 23 mm.
Metering mode Pattern
Exposure mode Av

Photo Information
Viewed: 3381
Points: 128
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by mario carlos (marcan44) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 582 W: 74 N: 1352] (6315)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH