Photographer's Note

The early hours of the morning.
The Island of San Giorgio Maggiore is located in Venice Lagoon, opposite the Basin of St. Mark's, just 400 meters away from the city and a few dozen meters from the island of Giudecca. At the time of the first doges it was called Cypress Island, had a few people who worked in a salt mine and a windmill and already there was built a small church (790 ad) dedicated to San Giorgio ("Major", to distinguish it from another island of Venice Lagoon, San Giorgio in Alga). In 982 Doge Tribuno Memmo donated to the Benedictine Order this island so they could build a monastery. From that year San Giorgio Island increased significantly in importance, also in 1108 or 1109, during the reign of Ordelaffio Falier, was buried in the church the body of Santo Stefano. This anniversary was celebrated for many centuries with a big event that was held in front of the island on the night of Santo Stefano.
The most important attraction in the island of San Giorgio Maggiore is certainly the church. The construction of the Church of San Giorgio began in 1566 and was designed in Neoclassical style by the great architect Andrea Palladio, and continued until his death (1580), then continued under the direction of Longhena that led it to completion in 1610. The facade is reminiscent of the Basilica del Redentore, located nearby, on the island of Giudecca, designed by Andrea Palladio (from www.innvenice.com/en.San-Giorgio-Island.htm).

sacimar, PaulVDV, macjake, clic oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 522
Points: 22
Additional Photos by Ecmel Erlat (ecmel) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 125 W: 0 N: 223] (1642)
View More Pictures