Zdjêcia

Photographer's Note

Church of Our Lady of the Conception was declared of cultural interest in June of 1948.

The primitive hermitage of the Church of Our Lady of the Conception arose in 1498, but in her numerous extensions and works were undertaken, like the one of 1632, when the stonemasons Rivero, Morales and Rodriguez Bello constructed the chapel of the Vera Cruz and worked the main cover The earthquakes of the volcano of Güímar, of the end of the year 1704, caused serious deteriorations in the church. The new works of reconstruction of the temple would begin in 1768, year in which the direction and planning of the same to the orotavense teacher Patricio Garci'a is in charge.

It is a temple based on the purest Baroque style, with a convex polygonal facade. It has two large towers with arches, square base and octagonal termination. Its cover has pilasters with rich capitals and on it, they are represented in two spherical globes, the Caribbean and the Canary Islands. It is crowned by an upper window that has a niche with the Immaculate and four medieval-style gargoyles.

Inside of Church of Our Lady of the Conception The church is of three naves separated by Ionic columns and Corinthian capital. It has six side chapels and a deep main chapel. The neoclassical tabernacle of the main chapel belongs to the Genoese workshop of Gusseppe Gaggini, from 1923. The sun that crowns it is made of cedar wood and the author was the sculptor Fernando Estévez. It is flanked by two angels and topped by a statue of the Faith.

---------------------------------------------------

Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Concepción fue declarado Bien de interés cultural en junio de 1948.

La primitiva ermita de la Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Concepción surgió en 1498, pero en ella se acometieron numerosas ampliaciones y obras, como la de 1632, cuando los canteros Rivero, Morales y Rodríguez Bello construyeron la capilla de la Vera Cruz y labraron la portada principal. Los terremotos del volcán de Güímar, de finales del año 1704, provocaron graves deterioros en la iglesia. Las nuevas obras de reconstrucción del templo comenzarían en 1768, año en el que se encarga la dirección y planificación de las mismas al maestro orotavense Patricio García.

Se trata de un templo basado en el más puro estilo barroco, con una fachada de planta poligonal convexa. Posee dos grandes torres con arquerías, de base cuadrada y terminación octogonal. Su portada posee pilastras con ricos capiteles y sobre ella, están representados en dos globos esféricos, el Caribe y Canarias. Está coronada por un ventanal superior que tiene una hornacina con la Inmaculada y cuatro gárgolas de estilo medieval.

Interior de Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la ConcepciónLa iglesia es de tres naves separadas por columnas jónicas y capitel corintio. Posee seis capillas laterales y una profunda capilla mayor. El tabernáculo neoclásico de la capilla mayor pertenece al taller genovés de Gusseppe Gaggini, del año 1923. El sol que lo corona es de madera de cedro y el autor fue el escultor Fernando Estévez. Está flanqueado por dos ángeles y rematado por una estatua de la Fe.

Photo Information
Viewed: 570
Points: 58
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7416 W: 5 N: 12835] (57556)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH