Zdjęcia

Photographer's Note

The Yeni Mosque complex is located next to the Egyptian Bazaar in the Eminonu district of Istanbul. The mosque itself is at the centre of the kulliye complex. The siluette is one of the grandest mosques seen from the Bosphorus.
Built between 1597 and 1663, with some years of interruption during the construction, the Yeni (New) Mosque hovers over the harbor at Eminonu overlooking the incoming ferryboats to the old part of the city. The intermittent construction was lead by three different architects, Mimar Davut Aga, Dalgic Mehmet Aga, and Mustafa Aga, who finally completed the construction during the reign of Sultan Mehmet IV. The mosque was originally commissioned by Sultan Mehmet III. in memory of his mother Safiye Sultan, wife of Sultan Murad III. Today its domes and arches shelter hundreds of pigeons who make this area their home. Intricate lznik tiles decorate the sultan's balcony.
The kulliye comprises of a mosque, an elementary school, a fountain, a hunkar pavilion (the Sulatn's lodgings), and a mausoleum yard. Among these buildings, only the elementary school did not descend to the present. The outer yard had to be demolished due to the need for widening the road. The inner yard, with its 18 columns, its beautiful fountain and its three gates, is still well preserved.
The last gathering place has eight columns and nine vaults. The place is covered with enamelled tiles, which rise to the fringes of the windos on the second floor. The upper fringes of the windows in the place bear calligraphic scripts written by the artist Hattat Tenekecizade Mustafa Celebi. Two minarettes with three balconies flank the mosque to the west and the east. The square nucleus of the mosque is accessed through three gates, each with a staircase. Four massive piers, decorated with painted tiles, support the roof structure, which has a huge dome. The dome is further supported by four semi domes (conches), buttressing the main dome to the east and the west. Including the four semi domes, and the ones over the columns in front of the bridge and the mausolea, the mosque has 66 domes and semi domes in total. The prayer niche and the pulpit is composed of white marble. A panel of mosaic, inlaid with valuable stones, ornates the space to the left of the prayer niche.
The Hunkar pavilion, allegedly built for Turhan Sultan, displays the characteristics of a classical Turkish house. With its three rooms and one saloon, the pavilion is situated at a location from where one of the best panoramas of Istanbul can be enjoyed. The walls are decorated with painting and priceless Iznik tiles and the furniture is inlaid with ivory and mother of pearl. Following the abolition of the monarchy, the construction was used as a depot until 1948. Carefull restoration works have been carried out between 1948-1966 and the pavilion opened as a museum the following year.

For more photo : http://istanbul.potomya.net/english

pamastro oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 2192
Points: 3
Discussions
Additional Photos by YILMAZ TUFAN (twofun) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 158 W: 95 N: 138] (1480)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH