Zdjęcia

Photographer's Note

It is a Holy Week now by Russian Orthodox calendar. I decided to show you some old Russian Orthodox churches on Alaska.

..................................................

The persistent rain and low ceiling didn’t allow us to fly to another part of Kodiak Island to watch giant Kodiak’s brown bears. Instead of this we walked in the raingear around this small city, tried all cocktails in the bars and made a dozen calls to the airport… Well, next time!

The Kodiak Island Archipelago is a large group of islands about 30 miles off the coast of Alaska. The archipelago is about 177 miles long and encompasses nearly 5,000 square miles, roughly the size of the state of Connecticut.
At 3,588 square miles, Kodiak Island is the largest island in the group and the second largest island in the United States. Only the island of Hawaii is larger. The City of Kodiak (57° 45' N; 152° 29' W), at the northeastern tip of the island, is about 250 miles south of Anchorage. The city serves as the major supply and transportation hub for the archipelago's six villages.

The city of Kodiak is Alaska's oldest European settlement. Russians first landed here as early as 1763. Fur traders and hunters, seeking the pelt of the sea otter, established the first Russian colony in North America at Three Saints Bay on the south side of the island in 1784. The colony was moved to the present site of Kodiak in 1792, where it remained the capital of Russian-America until the headquarters were transferred to Sitka in 1804.
The island itself was first dubbed "Kodiak" in 1778, not by a Russian, but by Captain James Cook of the British Royal Navy.

The first missionary team was assembled at Valaam Monastery in northern Russia in 1793. Ten of the brothers of this holy monastery were commissioned by the church to go to Russian Alaska to evangelize the pagan natives, who were now mingling extensively with the Russian merchants. The oldest parish in Alaska was established in 1794, with this mission. Father Herman, one of the original clerics, was canonized in 1970 and became the first saint of the Russian Orthodox Church in North America.

The Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church is the third to be built on this site in Kodiak. The original church, built in 1796, was the first Russian Orthodox Church built in North America and burned down. A church built between 1843 and 1867 originally occupied the site until it was destroyed by fire in 1943.

The existing church was erected in 1945. The frame building is laid out on an apsidal-transect plan and covered with white shingles. All the windows are center pointed. A single extended church tower at the front is capped with the traditional Orthodox onion dome, painted blue. A second onion dome and supporting hexagonal tower surmount the medium gable transept roof.

The church, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, is open to visitors during the summer months.

jhm, singuanti, jassy, yogi32 oznaczył to zdjęcie jeko użyteczne

Photo Information
Viewed: 3628
Points: 4
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Nikolay Murenets (Kolyamour) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 317 W: 101 N: 339] (1760)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH