View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 07:45 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Lowering Workshop Postings -> 2/day

Adam -

Seems like it's time to give some serious thought to how you're going to deal with the costs of this site over the long run. This could turn into one very expensive hobby.

Apparently the ads aren't bringing in much revenue.

If you can't generate additional income from the site (or manage to win the lottery), I'd rather see the number of participants limited than their amount of participation.

Turning down the ability to post more than two Workshops cripples the site (to me). If I've got some spare time and could work on half a dozen shots I'm going to have to pick two and not give visual feedback to the other people.

Think about turning this into a limited membership photography club. Accept new members only when old members drop out (either voluntarily or from x months of non-participation).

If there are lots of people on the waiting list, think about licensing this software to another 'club'. There's no reason why this site has to host all the photographers in the world.

I can see a huge advantage in multiple 'clubs'. Keeping numbers small means that we get to know each other and can judge people's work based on their previously demonstrated skills. It is more likely that we will become 'web friends'. Different clubs will allow places for people of different temperaments.

I can even see a 'Super Site' which just displays the best from each club. Shots to inspire us all.