Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great tyro 2015-12-05 4:53

Ciao cara Lisa,

And I thought that you were the only dishy dish in the Southern Hemisphere! :)

Gosh, you're really getting into this night photography lark - was it spending some time with those astro photographers that has inspired you? Anyway, this is a brilliant night photograph of this amazing radio telescope, perfectly taken and composed from a perfect viewpoint and displaying stunning details and sharpness throughout. I really wish you would let us see your exif data because, in my usual anally retentive way, I love to see what exposure settings other have used for this sort of shot.

A brilliant photograph and an excellent note, as always.

Fabulous!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:05 PM
TE Expert

Smile To tyro: Settings

Ciao caro Giovanni

Thanks for your kind critique. I'm sorry, here are the exif settings for the shot:

Canon 5D MkII
Tripod and Shutter release
70-200mm f/4 L lens @70mm
f/13
2.5 seconds
ISO 800

I have trouble including the settings nowadays because when you Save For Web, you lose them and must go back to the original photo, which is not always still on my hard drive and is usually on another external hard drive.

Un abbraccio
Lisa
Old 12-05-2015, 01:57 PM
TE Expert

Default Exif Data and "Saving for Web"

Ciao carissima Lisa,

Ah, ha, so that's why we don't see your exif data!

I must confess that I've never ever used that Photoshop feature of "save for web", mainly because I've not a clue what it's meant to do and I've never actually researched it. I guess it must be some sort of compression which reduces the size of the image so it can be uploaded more quickly but I'm not sure. My routine is just to save the image as a JPEG onto my desktop and then upload it from there. Actually, come to think of it, I think I might just have experimented with "save for web" in the days when TE's upload limits were only something like 200KB but I don't think I ever actually uploaded images as such.

I seem to recall that you didn't like to show your exif data because of privacy concerns. I know that on sites like Flickr, exif data (if you choose to allow them to be shown) display lots and lots of details including camera serial number and so on - and in my case, my name, as I have that set in my camera in the faint and no doubt misguided hope that someone might be able to access it if my camera is lost or stolen. But on TE the only data which might be compromising are the date and time the image was taken, so letting people know of your whereabouts on that particular day.

To the Dish of the Southern Hemisphere,

Un abbraccio,

Giovanni.

P.S. Sorry, but perhaps the term "dish" is a peculiarly British one? An attractive girl could be called "dishy" or also a "dish" - an innocent and purely complimentary (though perhaps now rather old fashioned) term!