Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2016-01-29 12:26

Hi Lisa
this one gets me excited, shooting shooting stars and the milky way is a dream of Tosca's, and mine too.
I remember you have a few of these that you've shown us.
it must be so dark out here in the middle of nature without city lights.

was it cold?

so what tips do you have for us?
Tosca and I are going to Las Vegas on Sunday, but what we're really doing is driving out to 2 National Parks just East of Vegas. Going to Zion NP and Bryce Canyon NP.
Tosca wants to shoot the stars at night, but it will be freaking cold cold cold! expecting lots of snow too, so i'm not sure how clear the skies will be.

So you want to go with a high ISO right? and the lower the F Stop number the better? like a F2.8 or something like that?
there are so many awesome milky way shots out there, thats what we're hoping for. any tips would be helpful.

Ironic that you're posting this one now :)
fine post to have in your gallery!
keep them coming
cheers
Craig

Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 AM
TE Expert

Smile To macjake: Shooting Stars

Ciao Craig

Lucky you, those deserts are on my bucket list. Have fun! Stuff Vegas, stay in the desert

Thanks for your critique. I'm no expert on how to shoot the sky. There are some great articles on the web about it and there are some excellent Apps on your phone that can assist. I'll email you them.

To answer your question, no it wasn't cold out here at night. About 25C. These are my handy tips:

1. Sturdy tripod
2. Intervalometer or good cable release with LCD timer
3. Lots of batteries, they die quickly in the extreme heat or cold
4. Battery charge pack
5. Good torch - head torch if possible
6. Cold weather gear
7. ISO of 3200 or 6400, f/2.8 (or as large as possible), wide-angle lens 12mm-14mm is great. I used 17mm on this.
8. Depending on your focal length, you can work out your exposure. Stars start to move after about 20-25 seconds on a wide angle lens of 17mm. On an 8mm like you have, probably after 30 seconds
10. If you want to do star trails, that's a whole other ball game and you're best merging about 200 shots taken at about ISO800, f/4, 5 minutes
11. For the Milky Way shots, try and choose an interesting foreground and if it's really dark, light paint with the torch for a few seconds

Have fun
Lisa xxx