Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-29-2020, 06:19 PM
TE Expert

Default Cats

Hi,

Just a quick message to the Moderators.
Last week I posted a photograph of a cat pretending to be a bird in a bird bath and a w/s of a bird pretending to be a cat, hiding under the bushes.

Sadly, the photograph was removed without an explanation.
I assumed it was removed because I had posted the photograph of the cat as the main post, rather than the other way round.
But, recently, on the Home Page, I saw a theme of 'Cats'.
In fact, there are several themes devoted to cats.

What are the criteria used to decide which are allowed and which are removed?
Some of the photographs were definitely not of wild or street cats.

Kind regards, Bev
Old 08-29-2020, 08:23 PM

Historically, any image of domestic pets were removed if either spotted by mods or if the mods were advised of the image. At its peak the site used to receive between 700 and 800 images per day so inevitably some slipped through. With many fewer images being posted now it's far less likely that an image of a cat would escape notice. The Terms of Service do state that photos of cats and other domestic animals are not permitted. " any pets (not only one's own). Close shots of stray cats and dogs are also not allowed, shots of stray dogs and cats can only be posted when they are part of their surrounding."
Old 08-29-2020, 09:20 PM
TE Expert

Default Cat Themes

Thank you for your prompt reply Keith.
If, as you say, no cat photos are allowed, it seemed to me strange that there are several themes of cats and that these should be featured on the Home Page.

Kind regards,
Bev :-)
Old 08-30-2020, 07:04 AM

Hi Beverley,

I must add that one of the many bugs on TE lately is that mods can’t choose the reason of deactivation : the option to send a mail giving a reason doesn’t work for months now...

Viviane
Old 09-01-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaldevon View Post
Thank you for your prompt reply Keith.
If, as you say, no cat photos are allowed, it seemed to me strange that there are several themes of cats and that these should be featured on the Home Page.

Kind regards,
Bev :-)

Bev, rules have been tightened over the years. Originally the rule was against pets but some members posted images of cats which they claimed were strays despite the animal being overweight even for a pet moggy. This was done time and time again until there was no option other than to tighten the rules. It's not practical to try to go through the photo library retrospectively and remove images which were OK when posted, but break the rules now. Neither would it be fair, as the image was acceptable at the time.
I do appreciate that the situation you describe is confusing.