Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 09-05-2005, 12:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default some photos do not deserve points they get

Sometimes i feel that some people get a lot of points for some of their photos not because they are good but because they are taken by them.
I just had to get it of my chest. :)
Old 09-05-2005, 01:11 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: some photos do not deserve points they get

For What Glory ?
I think that I 'am not wasting my precious time to open an another account for giving points to my own pictures.
It's forbiden by TE TOS
Old 09-05-2005, 01:14 AM
TE Newbie

It's probably an accurate observation - generally a spectacular photograph will always collect high points, regardless of who submitted it, while the submitters name would likely influence the scores given to an average photograph.

The general rule seems to be - if you want critiques and points, give them! I try to give twice as many as I receive, while activity on my account is fairly quiet I can do it, but if/when I get a lot of activity, I might have to scale back.

In any case, in my opinion, the purpose of sites like TE is to get your photographs viewed, and as such the view counter is a far more accurate index of an images popularity. See this *extreme example* - only 19 points, but 730 views (so far). This tells us all we need to know!!

[Edit by: adam; Reason: No specifics, please]
Old 09-05-2005, 01:22 AM
TE Newbie

Maybe....but sometimes we find ourselves coming back time & again to a particular photographers work, simply because we appreciate what they are doing & want to express that appreciation.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:25 AM
TE Expert

"the view counter is a far more accurate index of an images popularity"

Not necessarily as it could mean that a blog is linking to it, etc.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:26 AM
TE Expert

How does that affect you though? Remember, its not about the points, its about getting critiques that help you get better.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:05 AM
TE Junior Member

Well, that is actually how TE works. Or any other photo portal. Do not treat points as any comparable factor - at least not between members. Because number of points do depend on the member who is those points receiving.
And nothing really can be done about it - you can only accept it or leave. Unless there is some kind of professional jury that is obligated to treat every picture in equal way, do not expect other people to have any obligations to comment this or another picture.
And yes, if you want more points, critique more (or take better pictures :)). So long as you do it sincere - it's perfectly ok for me. It's up to you - you have more time to spend in TE, you will be (probably) rewarded with more points.
And yes, many people give out insincere comments - very often I can see poor or at least average images with comments like "Oh XXX, how beautifull, I like it a lot". And yes, I was angry about it in the beginning too. But now I don't care - nobody will give me anything for my points in TE, so why to worry so much about them? I will never write positive comment under picture I don't like just to get points in reward.
So enjoy your stay in TE, look out for good pictures, add some good pictures to TE gallery, and remember - points here are for sure indicative of something, but not necessary the level of your pictures - at least not only this.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:39 AM
TE Expert

'comments like "Oh XXX, how beautifull, I like it a lot".'

If I encounter an account like that their critique ability will be removed. That being said, unlike other sites, points don't get you anything here, i.e. ability to sort by highest, prizes etc. And if points really bothers someone, I recommend they turn points off completely so they do not have to view them. And one can create lists to add those members who do not write such critiques. I do this and am satisfied with the result.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:48 AM
TE Expert

Hi Edvin.
My 0.2 cents, ok, as one of the underservedly overcompensated ones...;o)
I think the issue is fairly complex. Three points to ilustrate what I mean:
1. There are a few undeniably brilliant or at least seriously telented photogs here who are either "borderline antisocial/ferocious" or can't bother writing critiques, which in turn sets up an imbalance in the ecology of the site, in the community that is TE.
2. There are groups of, let's say, "seafaring" types who love images of the sea (just an example, don't FLAME me please!), and logically seek out other seaferers.
3. Then there are those perceived to be "stars", those with a brand which they have either built up over time or which has been bestowed upon them. They will often be given the benefit of the doubt in "borderline images", but don't forget, they probably have a solid body of genuinely interesting and entertaining work behind them to justify the odd kindness that goes their way.
Please exccuse the length of this reply.
Kind regards,
Francis
Old 09-05-2005, 06:30 AM
TE Expert

Francis, you are not undeserved.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your 3rd point. The borderline pics that get a "disproportionate" amount of points are usually, sorry, ALWAYS done by photogs who have a large body of very good work. Thats why a "borderline" photo by one of these people may score 20 or 30 points but will score under 10 if posted by someone who doesnt have such a ody of work. Thats natural and isnt only something you see on TE. In sports, if Zidane has a stretch of 4 bad games, he WILL be given the benefit of he doubt, and will play. Someone without a name will be benched after 2 bad games, or even one.

The thing is though, when we talk about high scoring photos, say over 40 points, I dont really recall seeing any bad 40+ point photos.