The moon - The TrekEarth Forums

Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-07-2004, 01:51 AM
TE Newbie

Default The moon

Does somebody knoes how to take pictures of the moon please and of its surface. thanks for the answers
Old 08-07-2004, 02:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: The moon

Hello!
You need a long tele or a small telescope, at least, to take decent photos of the moon's surface. Some more details could be found at <A HREF="http://www.skypub.com">Sky and Telescope website</A> or in some of the many books edited by the Sky Publishing Corporation.

Don't be confused by the measuring used in photography and in astronomy. In the first, for example 35mm denotes the focusing distance of the lens; in the later, 60mm (for example) denotes the diameter of the objective lens used in the instrument. The bigger the lens, the more light it can gather, hence better quality (and more detail) can be obtained. This also applies to photography, therefore lenses used for SLR cameras are bigger that those used for amateur video cameras, producing images that have better quality.

Boiling it down:
Bigger objective lenses give better quality pictures because they gather more light. Longer lens focusing distances give more magnification.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Once you find a long telephoto or super telephoto lens (focal length 300mm+) (I suppose an ultra zoom digital camera could do the trick too) Bolt it down on a sturdy tripod and then select the spot meter to select just the moon. Take a few exposures, under expose a bit, bracket and review your shots and you should get something good out of it.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:54 AM
TE Newbie

thanks for your answer, i go to your link. thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 12:56 AM
TE Newbie

thanks for concils. I'll try, and may be i'll post something intersting.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:57 AM
TE Newbie

thanks for concils. I'll try, and may be i'll post something intersting. all these questions are interesting
Old 08-08-2004, 12:58 AM
TE Newbie

Old 08-08-2004, 01:01 AM
TE Newbie

hello jorgen,

also interested I allows myself to read your answer. intersting.

I would havea question please , how made you your bonds in the messages ? thanks
Old 08-08-2004, 03:03 AM
TE Senior Member

As far as metering goes, I wouldn't recommend trusting your camera's meter at all. Unless you have a very accurate spot meter, your camera will usually be thrown off by the large amount of black in the photo and will badly overexpose the moon. For a full moon, many people just trust the sunny 16s rule.

Basically, the sunny 16 says that for a daylight exposure, a pretty optimal exposure is f/16 at the reciprocal of the ISO rating. This means that to shoot a full moon (less than full requires a slightly greater exposure), shoot at f/16 and 1/100 sec if you are shooting at ISO 100, or f/8 and 1/200 at ISO 100, etc.

It always seems odd shooting in the dark of night, but it does work well. Depending on the clarity of the sky where you are, other adjustments might need to be made. I suggest bracketing in about half stop increments for about a full stop on either side of what sunny 16 tells you to do.

This is my own, rather non-remarkable, moon shot taken at the end of July <a href="http://www.pbase.com/image/31978145" target=new>here</a>. The technical details show up below the photo. I should note that the photo was taken using a 2x converter, which actually changes the aperture to f/16 as opposed to the f/8 shown.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:28 PM
TE Newbie

To link a text use HTML tags:
<A HREF="http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/">Here you can learn how</A>. Scroll down to "Adding links to other pages" and use those tags here in TE.

As to how to photograph the moon, the following settings can be used (Astrophotography. An Introduction, by H. J. P. Arnold):

Phase ISO 400 ISO 100
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Crescent 1/125: f/8 1/30: f/8
Quarter 1/250: f/8 1/60: f/8
Gibbous 1/500: f/8 1/125: f/8
Full 1/1000: f/8 1/250: f/8
(and extrapolate values for different ISO ratings)

This has worked very good for me as a start-up, but everyone has to experiment the best settings. Eclipses and moons too near the horizon are more difficult. For eclipses use the following (source: same book):

Eclipse
Phase ISO 400 ISO 100
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
Deep in penumbra: 1/125: f/16 1/60: f/11
Whole moon within
Penumbra: 1/4: f/2.8 1s: f/2.8
Mid-totality: 1s: f/2.8 2s: f/2

Hope this helps many.
Jürgen