Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-08-2004, 10:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default you rate- I rate-rating system

Just some food for thoughts....
I noticed that when somebody rates and writes critiques,thet get points and critiques in return from people they rated.

I decided after a long time to post but now have no time to critique and rate as I had before,sure enough my ratings drop.

Many pictures deserve good ratings and comments and many rates them objectivelly,I am just reffering to those who dont.

Still,this is a great site and I cant think of a better system so I just post pictures and enjoy looking at others while reading good critiques and trying to learn from them.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Re: you rate- I rate-rating system

Hi Rafi!

Well, I think I can include partially in that system and the reason it happens is, first to retribute the coutesy to those who spent their time and effort looking and writing something about my photos, and second it's a way to filter the great amount of photos posted daily. By looking at the work of those who critiqued me it's an easier way to choose the photos I look at (don't have much also so I have to filter somehow...).

In these last times I personaly decided not to post everyday in order to have more "freedom" to look through the general and the newbies galleries and see other works in the days I don't post.

As I said it's only a way to organize the distribuition of my critiques, but I understand your frustration.

Maybe those which use the same "filtering system" as I but post daily could reduce the postings to look through the galleries and critique some unjustified ignored photos. Just a thought...
Old 08-09-2004, 01:44 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Rafi!

I'm glad to see you're still around too, like you, I found I had no time on my hands for writing critiques so decided to fade away into the background, but I still visit the site daily, enjoying the pictures, good to see you're okay!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Banned

Hi Rafi,
I have not been there for a long time, but my attitude is to write something about photos I like and nothing about others, with the goal of being positive, it's not my will or duty to tell somebody I don't know "your photo is bad"
From time to time I write about possible improvement, that's only my personal opinion, it may not be shared by others.
What I notice is that I already developped a small network of favorites, whose photos I check regularly, because I like the way they do, let's call it affinity.
What's fro sure, I can not review all photos, there are definitely too many !
Old 08-10-2004, 08:41 PM
TE Expert

it's not my will or duty to tell somebody I don't know "your photo is bad"

And why not? If you say to someone his photo is bad and you explain why it is bad and/or even better tell him/her how he/she can improve the photo, this person might be learning something.

I think it is the duty of all TE members to help each other by writting useful comments either positive or not.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 AM
TE Expert

I try to do a little bit of both, reviewing photos of folks who've taken the time to critique my work, and reviewing the gallery periodically to look for work from photographers I've not encountered before. I'm here to post photographs and get feedback on how to improve my skills both behind the camera and during post-processing, but more importantly, to share this experience with folks who share my enthusiasm about this marvelous hobby. It becomes very clear who has the interest and commitment to the process. They are the ones writing critiques. Nothing could be more natural than to exchange opinions and good wishes with those folks who show up and contribute to the conversation. Since I speak only English, it also happens that the folks I most often share observations with also speak English. I sense there are other circles of participants whose language of preference is not English who do the same. There are more French members than any other national group and from what I can tell, many of them are chatting away with one another.

When I find a member who posts photos and who doesn't offer critiques, I'm disinclined to spend time with that person's work since it isn't likely I'm going to engage in conversation with him or her. I don't much enjoy talking into a telephone when no one is on the other end either... ;-)

With regard to offering advice, I prefer to demonstrate what I believe could be improved by doing a workshop. If a picture is worth ten thousand words, a workshop is worth at least a thousand. It also has the advantage of helping the person who creates the workshop to refine his or her eye, as well as his or her processing skills. Subjective statements about preferences, or judgments that can't be translated into changes for the better, are really not worth very much, especially when delivered by others who are amateurs themselves. If I'm struggling with an image, I look at workshops done by folks whose work I respect to see how they approach images. And if that doesn't work I'll ask for their help. That is what makes this place so great. Everyone I've encountered has been remarkably generous. It feels good to reciprocate with folks who give of themselves.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 AM
TE Newbie

Following my comment....
Here is the proof of what I wrote a couple weeks ago....
Please look at my pictures at
http://www.trekearth.com/members/forlife/photos/
Now tell me what am I doing wrong.Well besides the fact that I do not critique or rate others....
A year ago I got as you will be able to see 10 to 40 points a picture.Back then I was rating others and wrote critiques.
It took me awhile to understand why am I so popular....
I never thought I was a great photographer then as I dont think my photos are so bad now that I dont get critiques and points....
My only point and especially to newbies is...Dont be discouraged if your photo is ignored.There is a small and closed circle that critiques and rates one another.You can join only if you write allot
of critiques.I have many friends here that left when they realized that the rating system is not genuine.
I left and came back but am not playing this game no more,instead I am enjoying the site,learning from others and looking at some great shots from all over but still,i felt i needed to share those thoughts with you.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:55 AM
TE Junior Member

Ironically, the you-rate-I-rate system could be the solution to the other problem of low quality critiques. This is where the idea of critique circles come in.

A good policy might be if you get a good critique, write one for that person that is of quality as it is likely to be appreciated.
Something I do too is if a picture doesn't have a good note along with it to fit into TE AND I see they have not written critiques for other people, I'll look for another person to critique who contributes and probably will take my comments into consideration more.

>>> Personally, I think points/ratings should be anonymous and the pictures score based on the average (and then need to be a 0-10 scoring, perhaps for different things too: image quality, composition, note, appeal, etc).

Critique quality might then go up. What do you think?