Notices

Old 10-01-2003, 03:33 AM
TE Newbie

Default Photo of the day, photo of the week! ADM

I have already insisted before, in ranking photos,
here is another option, selectin the photo or photos of the week,
or day, or month.

This just will be another kind of search, for those don't want
to see the 200 pages of favorites, as I did!

Just think in the implications and benefits, and discard it, or think about! Up to you!

thanks for listening Adam
Old 10-01-2003, 09:40 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Photo of the day, photo of the week! ADM

"selectin the photo or photos of the week, or day, or month."

Who would determine which photos are chosen?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:20 PM
TE Senior Member

You could key it off of favorites -- the most frequent photos selected as favorites for the week for example.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Stop !

As already said before, many of us don't want Trekearth become the TOP 50 website of photography.

What makes this site unique is that we come to share advices, improve our technic and discover the world.

If we have such rating tool, we will spoil TE's spirit and start to stress on successful pictures instead of sharing our passion.

Keep resisting Adam !
Old 10-01-2003, 06:28 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Stop !

I agree with Curioso.
Without getting too righteous, this site is about learning about the world, photographic techniques, and to some extent, post-processing techniques. The points system to me is just a (nice) sideline.

There are other sites out there that cater for our competitive spirits - DPChallenge is a good one that springs to mind.

Gary
Old 10-01-2003, 06:39 PM
TE Junior Member

"What makes this site unique is that we come to share advices, improve our technic and discover the world."...
and looking at posted pics this way is IMO more important than having them subjectively selected as the best ones. Sure it's nice to get points, or having our pics selected as favorites, but it shouldn't go further in a "super selection", as this will leave our "not so good" ones in the dungeon, with no chance to be reviewed and criticised. I think many of us will admit they much more improved their skills due to the input on their average ones than on their best ones. If there should be a TOP 50, I would vote for a TOP 50 of the average or bad ones with a potential where other photographers can help by their positive comments or a workshop.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
TE Junior Member

I'll have to agree with Steven on this one. If you're interested in competition above all else then there are many other sites out there. It has been noted by others that competition introduces its own set of problems, some of which we've already seen here.

TrekEarth should be treated very simply. As a contributor, you're saying "Hey, look at this place", and as a viewer you're getting other people's take on the world. The sheer volume of postings these days can, I believe, make people want some kind of filtering mechanism. Unfortunately the pros of ranking are far outweighed by the cons.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:31 AM
TE Junior Member

I 100% agree. Also, maybe you've notied that due to the high number of pictures edited every day, I think it would be better to view those who doesn't have comments or very few viewing before to have that kind of top 50. I also think it is a pleasure followed with srprise to discover new pictures by searching among all the posted, including the "old" pictures. This system of top X, would not gives you a chance to discover the ancient picture edited in the past. It would be a shame.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:23 AM

Bonjour ą tous,

I agree completely with Steven, Gary, Jean-Michel, Ron & Stephane! They all express exactely my feelings. TE is really very special, let it stay that way...

Amicalement - Viviane
Old 10-02-2003, 01:22 PM

I agree with those who say we don't want to go down that route.

If there is to be a photo of the day, week or whatever I would say that the choice should be entirely Adams. Any choice based on points received, number of times viewed, favourites etc is open to manipulation.

Lets keep the site simple.