Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 06:01 PM
TE Newbie

Default Going to Europe

I am going to visit Europe from late June to mid July. I am visiting France, Italy, and Greece in all of the major tour attraction areas (Paris, Venice, Athens, Rome etc.) Any advice you can give me for not only photgraphy but the people?
Thank you so much!!
:)-Kelli
Old 05-09-2008, 05:38 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Going to Europe

Hi Kelli

If you have any spare time and cash, do try taking in Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania on your way to Greece. You will not be disappointed. As for your countries listed, try and speak the languages (Greek will be the hardest), even if you are not very good, I think the locals respect you more for trying - But on the whole they can speak very good English. Eat the local food, drink the local beer/wine its great stuff. Have a blast in Europe.
Regards
Jim
Old 05-09-2008, 06:43 AM
TE Expert

Hi Kelli,
My advise would be to visit also smaller places, not just the major tourist cities full of other tourists.
Kari
Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 AM
TE Newbie

I think you'll find that people are very friendly as long as you want to experience their country and their culture. Leave your own culture behind and embrace the culture where you go. Expect eating to be an experience, not something to be irritated by. You may get some of the best food you've had if you find the right places, accept that service will not be what you may be used to. The same goes for all the things you may be used to.

I grew up in Europe and lived there through my first 30 years and in my experience there was nothing as irritating as Americans coming in during tourist season behaving as if they were back in the states, waving their money and expecting everyone to be pleased that they had now arrived. If the culture is loud then go ahead and join the locals in being load, if it is a more quiet one (which you are unlikely to experience with the countries you'll visit) then tone it down and enjoy a more quiet interaction.

All in all, you'll have a blast if you try to follow the local customs and if you skip the big tourist traps. Those are just annoying anyway, and you'll never really get to see the culture of the country in them.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
TE Junior Member

How are you travelling,. Kelli?

If you are going on an organised tour, you may find yourself in 'the usual' touristy bits with little flexibility to see the 'real' parts of the countries you're visiting.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to travel independently, travel light and spend as little time as possible in the tourist hot-spots. If you're coming to London, I recommend taking a 'red bus tour'. It costs a few quid but you'll be on top of an open top bus - you can take all the photos you'll ever need of Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Tiwer bridge and St Paul's Cthedral - and then go somewhere really interesting like Oxford, Manchester, Bristol, Cambridge, Newcastle, etc.

If you're carrying camera gear, take as little as you can get away with but, if you can manage it, bring a lightweight tripod as the light on long, summer evenings is awesome.

Customer service will be very laid back and not at all what you're probably used to. That said, the trains and transport systems in most of Europe are pretty good. (They're bl**dy awful in the UK, though...)

Hope you have a great time and look forward to seeing the photos.

Paul.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
TE Expert

i can only recommend the nicest region of France: Corsica...;-)
why not on your way to Italy..?
then you take the boat to Livorno, and the train to the Cinque terre...before goindg to Firenze..

sounds good..

ok i'll go too...:-))
Old 05-15-2008, 06:30 AM
TE Newbie

I plan on making this trip very unplanned and I am definately leaving the American Culture behind. I cant stand it anymore with all the rush and stress from being at work all day and the suberban lifestyle was never me. I plan to go to all the small places and visit the small resturants that have amazing food. And I promised myself since I was only fifteen I would never eat McDonalds again and since then I havent.