Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
TE Newbie

Default airport funnies

as avid travllers we no doubt have passed through many terminals and have had some or seen some funny experiences. Here are my twop for starters
In 2000 I made my first trip to south Africa, after getting safely through the checkpoints we went to collect our luggage. Beside the carousel there was this huge 6' 6" at least South African Policeman, with a small machine gun, a pellet/shot gun on his back and a huge pistol by his side. He had the biggest dog I had ever seen, which he set off sniffing all the bags on the carousel, his dog promtly squatted down and did a "whoopsie" to match its size on the carousel. you should off seen the guys face as he tried to get it claered up before a suitcase landed on top of it.

When going through Charles De Gaul (something which I hope I never have to do again) after having my hand luggage x rayed this very eager, officious customs lady couldn,t wait to open my camera bag, only for a dozen of my grandsons small plastic ducks to spill out allover. I waited patiently while she picked them all up.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: airport funnies

The last day of our stay in Aqaba, Jordan, we bought some souvenirs. One of them a small heavy phallus stone. All these souvenirs were put in my backpack. At the Amman airport the x-ray machine showed that something was wrong with my backpack, so I had to show everything in it. Apparently the stone phallus wasn't made of stone, but out of metal. After every security agent at the gate had examined and touched the thing, I got it back with a smile and they wished us a nice journey home.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
TE Newbie

must have thought it would bring them good luck
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
TE Junior Member

This one isn't about traveling in airports, its about shooting in one.

We had an assignment to shoot the train doors at the airport in Denver, CO (hey, it isn't all glamor and glory in this business). We needed to have the passengers not look at the camera. However, as many of you know, you set up lights and a camera, and everyone looks at the camera.

In order to get passengers looking the other way, I had my assistant run down the waiting area shouting and clapping his hands. Obviously, everyone looked at him instead. Luckily, we already had the police with us, or I'm sure someone would have called them. We do some funny things for clients, but this ranks right up with with my chasing pink flamingos through a zoo for a shoot. That's a story for another day.

My assistant is a great guy, a good friend, and a very amiable fellow, but asked me to please not make him do something like that again.

~Vic~
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 PM
TE Newbie

Vic, just wondered, for your assistant to get all their attention did he have his cloths on. Waiting for the pink flamingo story, might as well broaden the scope as not many seem to have had funny exoperiences at airports.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:55 AM

Nothing massively funny, but a couple of odd things.

First up: The scene, I'm in an airport in the US, four months after 9/11. Going through security, I put my camera bag through the carry-on luggage x-ray machine as usual. I was then informed by the staff member that all laptops must be removed from the bag, and screened seperately. Fair enough, but there wasn't a laptop in the bag... I politely explained that there wasn't a laptop in the bag, to which he informed me (in as officious a voice as possible) that it was a federal offence to not comply with the directions of a security screener, and that failure to comply could result in jail time. To which I again explained that there wasn't a laptop in there. To which he repeated his threat once again to which I replied, rather frustrated, that he was more than welcome to investigate *everything* in the bag, and the bag itself, and that I would even give him the laptop as a gift if he found one in there. So, he proceeds to pull everything apart, and then passes everything through again, whilst all the time muttering dire imprecations about not complying with his instructions. At the end of which, he passed me the bag (which still didn't contain a laptop) and muttered slightly sheepishly "Have a nice day" ;)

A similar scene played out back in 2001 in Greece. I put my camera bag through the carry-on x-ray scanner as usual, and this time I'm told to "remove the knife". I patiently explain that there isn't a knife in there, so this is impossible. He then orders me to remove the machete from my bag immediately. I explain that there isn't a knife of any sort in the bag, so whilst I'd love to comply, his request was impossible. So he pulls all the contents out of the bag, and screens them all again, including the bag. Et voila, quelle surprise, no knife...

I can only assume that security screeners occasionally come across non-prescription pharmaceuticals , but instead of handing them in, they've been eating them instead. Either that or the staff canteens are using the wrong sort of mushroom in their food ;)
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 AM
TE Newbie

While taking my nephiew into the LAX (Los Angeles Airport) We discussed before how you cant ever talk about anything involving bombs or security threats, my six year old nephiew didnt take that too seriously, so he asks me in a serious tone "Oh no what did you do with the bombs" I turned red and said "Jeremy that is not funny" A few minutes passed and we were stopped by two big security guards and took all of our luggage and searched it for about 20 minutes. That was a crazy trip and I dont think he ever said the word bomb again.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 AM
TE Newbie

kellimix, in my experience with kids you should never put ideas into their heads
Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 AM
TE Newbie

funny what the x ray can see and the eye can,t. Thats it blame the poor mushrooms.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM
TE Junior Member

Once flying back from Denver,Colorado to Paris I had a connection flight in Austin, Texas. Waiting for my oversea flight, I had a good and looooong time taking pictures in that airport... and missed my plane because I forgot about the different time zones between CO and TX!