Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-27-2003, 11:59 AM
TE Newbie

Default Critique/upload ratio

On a extremely crude count, of the approximately 300 members who have uploaded 15 or more photographs, approximately 105 have commented on fewer than they have uploaded (and several have never commented on any).

There are well-known disadvantages in insisting on critiques, mainly that the requirement can be fulfilled by writing more or less anything [including “I am going back there next month” or “see my own photos of mount X or river Y”]. The disadvantage of requiring ‘useful’ critiques is that the ‘useful’ indicator is not particularly reliable and suffers from similar limitations to the system of points awarded to pictures. Perhaps some moral pressure might be worth trying, at least in the first instance.

Suggestion: When attempting to upload a picture, a member, who has uploaded more than x photographs but has a critique/upload ratio of less than k, would be confronted by a pop-up dialogue box which explains that true participation in Trekearth involves commenting on the photographs of others [over to mimi], draws the member’s attention to his/her critique/upload ratio and possibly how it compares with the average ratio, and asks: “Do you want to upload anyway?”.

I would suggest that x should be set to give new members time to settle in. The critical critique/upload ratio could be set at 1 initially but could be amended over time. I have, however, no real feeling for the programming burden this might impose on you, Adam.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:06 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Critique/upload ratio

One problem is, that I, as fairly new to photography, need to upload quite a few shots before learning enough to give constructive critique to others.
Forcing, or at least insisting on, critique might lead to just more "nice-shot" type of critique by us who don't know enough yet to be more specific.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
TE Senior Member

I agree that you might not be prepared to give critiques, however, I don't agree you need to upload shots in order to be able to learn enough critique others. All you have to do is browse the site and look at other people's photos and critiques.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:45 PM
TE Junior Member

I like Martin's proposal, especially if it's phrased as a suggestion, not a requirement.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:46 PM
TE Newbie

I think that will lead to fewer new members. If we raise the hurdel to post new photos, fewer people will do it. But we will probably get a higher critique/post ratio if that is the only thing we want to achive.
I think that the spirit of this site is more about showing each other how our part of the world looks like, then about giving/receiving critique on those photos.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:55 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Jonas. In my proposal, I said: "I would suggest that x should be set to give new members time to settle in", where "x" is the minimum number of uploads before the pop-up dialogue kicks in. I used "x" (rather than a particular number) on the basis that, if the idea met approval, the level of "x" would be a matter for discussion and ultimately for Adam to decide. My proposal is certainly not designed to discourage new members but rather is intended to encourage more established members to participate fully in Trekearth.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:14 PM

Also agree with this proposal. Anything that pressure members to participate is welcome.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:23 PM
TE Newbie

I think that a good start would be to make the ratios more visible. It would be helpful if I could see the current ratio for my account visible at a glance, perhaps in a form of XXX/YYY(ZZ) where XXX is the number of critiques received, YYY - written, and ZZ - the "usefulness" factor for my own critiques
Old 10-27-2003, 06:29 PM
TE Junior Member

Certainly a good idea Martin. We all benefit if we, as members, contribute more than our photos to this site.

As far as being qualified to critique is concerned, well, that shouldn't really be an issue - even for new members. If you like a photo I would guess that there are reasons why you like it. Writing 'nice photo' or suchlike suggests that you haven't taken the time to try to put those feelings into words. Writing a critique doesn't require any expertise at all, rather, it requires a bit of courage to express your thoughts in public.

This is a pretty friendly community, and the irony is that you are more likely to receive flak for a critique into which you didn't put any thought than one which shows your real feelings.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To Jonask and others -- Reasons to Critique (Repost)

I'm going to repeat something I said before (sorry to anyone who already read it, but it was at the bottom of a long series, and my guess is that not many people did).

I'd like to offer some reasons to critique to those members who do not critique very much either because they are intimidated or they feel that they will only learn from having their work critiqued.

I teach writing for a living, and I spend a lot of my time critiquing writing and teaching students how to critique and revise their own writing as well as the writing of others. I think that some of the rationale behind what we do in the classroom is applicable here.

I have my students review the work of others because it is so much easier to pick out the flaws in others' work. When you write, you know what you think you've said; similarly, when you post a shot, you remember what you saw (and, at least for me, why you took the shot and how you felt when you took it). Therefore, it's often difficult to see the flaws. By dissecting the work of others -- both the positive and the negative -- you learn to do the same with your own work, and hopefully, see it more objectively. Therefore, if any of us really want to learn, critiquing others' work (and doing so critically and honestly, but kindly) is as valuable as having our own work critiqued. Even more valuable, I think, is the ability to do workshops. Personally, I think that having the opportunity to try to improve others' work has been the greatest benefit for me since I joined this site.