Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 10-28-2003, 06:15 AM

Default Re: A circle of friends...

Well, I agree with the larger set of colours for the stars and squares. It's allways motivating to try to achieve a "higher status". I don't critique based on this exibitional criteria but I confess at first it helped me to get into critiques...

For new members just put a small temporary icon near the left of the name... This icon could also be a link to a new members specific gallery.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:48 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Non -critiquers - Some more data...

I interpret your presentation of these data as a reply to my “critique/upload ratio” posting:

“We have about 3 pages of Members who have posted 50 or more photos, about 90 people. Only about 7 of them, ~8%, have posted fewer than 10 critiques. We have about 3 pages of Members who have posted 50 or more photos, about 90 people. Only about 7 of them, ~8%, have posted fewer than 10 critiques.”

I am surprised, Bob, that you, as a researcher, did not realise why I had used the ratio of critiques to photos as my indicator of commenting activity. The fact that some (hypothetical) member who has posted 100 pictures has posted 10 critiques is not a cause for satisfaction.

“We're averaging over three critiques per photo.”

I am well aware of the average and, indeed, suggested that the pop-up dialogue might draw the member’s attention to how his/her ratio compares with the average.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:50 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: A circle of friends...

I stopped reading this thread after about 30 or so, but I have to say I agree with dsidwell (waaay up the post list). The way to get back to how it was when I joined (only 2 - 3 months ago), will be to reduce the number of members. Members = posts so if this is reduced then the number of posts is reduced. The way to reduce members is to introduce a membership fee, and, by default, I think this will also increase the quality of posts/critiques as those members that remain will be dedicated to the ethos of TE and will follow its ideology.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:28 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Martin...

Bad interpretation. Wasn't responding to a post of yours. At all.

But now that you've entered the discussion way down here...

"The fact that some (hypothetical) member who has posted 100 pictures has posted 10 critiques is not a cause for satisfaction."

Satisfaction? How do you read that in to my post?

I'm pointing out that while a few people post a lot of pictures and few critiques, there are also people who post lots of critiques and few or no pictures.

And I'm saying that there is room for those types of people as well as those of us who post multiple critiques per picture.

Further, if you've noticed, I've suggested multiple times that the number of pictures posted and critiques written by each photographer appear beneath each thumbnail, along with the number of critiques that picture has received. " 135-15-3"

That serves as a reminder to the Member as to their critiquing level, it tells the rest of us how new the Member is, how much they have been contributing, and if the picture hasn't received attention.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:35 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Martin. a bit more...

Martin, I don't find anything from you in this thread about 'pop-ups'.

Are you referring to a different discussion?
Old 10-28-2003, 03:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default To Bob

I apologise for misinterpreting your posting.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:56 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Martin. a bit more...

I had posted my apology to you before seeing this "bit more". It was a reference to my original suggestion that if a member with "too low" a critique/photo ratio attempted to upload a photo he / she would get a "pop-up dialogue" which explained that true participation in TE involves commenting on others' pictures etc and asked "do you want to continue anyway?".

For what it is worth, I saw my suggestion as being a lot less draconian than other suggestions that had been made prior to my posting; e.g. that someone would be required to make a certain number of comments (possibly "useful comments") for each upload. I thought that a "private encouragement" to do some more commenting - which someone could still ignore - would be an appropriate way forward.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:15 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To Martin. a bit more...

Thanks for the apology. I'm not sure it was required ;o)

I agree that we shouldn't put in rigid standards. One size does not fit all.

What if we were to get a member, a "Rainman" who could take wonderful pictures, but was unable to write comments? Should we kick Rainman out?

Feedback as a way of influencing behavior is something that I have worked with for many years. A lot of what we would like to accomplish (more critiques, at least more meaningful critiques) can most likely be done with some simple systems.

A pop-up or a data post under each thumbnail, or some other system....

I'm not in favor of "Do it MY way or off with your head!".