Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great PaulVDV 2021-06-17 2:55

Hello Mariusz,
I would expect it to be sunny all the time on the cape of Ponta de Săo Lourenço. I was there in July and I had the feeling that this was a hike through the desert (with desert climate).
Great view steeply down. Good contrast between the blue ocean and the pink brown cliffs. The force with which the waves crash on the rocks is visible in the white foam.
Santana is almost always a rainy place but usually with soft rain.
My most beautiful walk was from Pico do Arieiro to Pico Ruivo and back (I also had to go back because of transport) but also the toughest trip I've made on the island. I probably couldn't do it now anymore.
Many years ago I was one day in Southern California, in San Diego. Just before my departure to Baja California. That was in July and it was indeed very cloudy. No high temperatures at all and very dull weather in a city that seemed boring to me.
At the border with Mexico the sun shone. Very strange, but the border between the two countries was also the boundary in the sky between cloudy and clear skies.
At that time I remembered the song 'Seems it never rains in southern California' and it became clear to me that Albert Hammond only knew this from hearsay...
This is the very first time anyone who has been to California has confirmed this kind of climate to me.
Best regards, Paul

Old 06-17-2021, 10:03 AM
TE Expert

Default To PaulVDV: It never rains in California

Hi Paul,
just to make it clear: it never rains in June in Southern California but it is overcast. It may sometimes rain around February. When I was there it rained just a couple of days in a year. UCLA campus was empty on rainy days like European campuses are empty on heavy snowfall days. There was a little drizzle and people took out umbrellas, rain coats and drove extremely slowly on the roads.
Heavier storms may happen in winter -I remember Death Valley was devastated by the storms once and many roads were closed due to the damage by the floods. It was just seasonal though. It is the best time to visit deserts after such rainy winters because everything blooms then.
Of course there are some differences between Southern and Northern California. I am talking about So-Cal.
Kind regards,
Mariusz
Old 06-17-2021, 07:18 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,

When I was a kid, I thought all of California was always warm.
I wasn't the only one with the wrong ideas because later I've heard many travellers complain about how chilly San Francisco could be in the summer months.

All the best !
Paul
Old 06-18-2021, 01:28 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,
California is quite a long state so the difference between Nor-Cal and So-Cal are quite big. So-Cal has always a nice weather with a bit clouds in the June and occasional rains in February
San Francisco is quite a different story...
Kind regards,
Mariusz
Old 06-18-2021, 06:24 PM
TE Expert

Hi Mariusz,

When I was a kid there was a song 'On a warm San Franciscan night' (from The Animals).
Perhaps that also contributed to my associating SF with warm weather.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 06-18-2021, 07:25 PM
TE Expert

Default California

Hello Paul

Here's a climate map I found of the USA. All of California is classed as a Mediterranean Climate with hot dry summers and cold wet winters. Even a tiny bit of Oregon, which surprised me. Think of comparing northern Italy with Sicily. The hot summer is still there in north Italy, but much shorter. I could go swimming in Sicily in October with 30c, but it was down to 20c by the time I reached Verona, and overcast and foggy.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...or-colours.png
Old 06-18-2021, 08:43 PM
TE Expert

Yes I think the map is simplifies. The moderate climate in Southern California is just along narrow stretch of coast and it very quickly turns into hot desert inland with the obvious Death Valley being the hottest place on Earth (now and then). I think above San Francisco it gets very misty very fast. Rain forests etc. I suppose it is still warm but cloudier and rainier.
Kind regards,
M
Old 06-20-2021, 10:02 PM
TE Expert

Thanks Chris and Mariusz !

Kind regards,
Paul