Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-23-2003, 07:30 PM
TE Newbie

Default TO Greg,Mike and Fil.

Thanks as allways for your comments.I learn,i laugh and ....yes,i am going to buy a new camera soon and would not dare doing so before consulting with my mentors...:)
just posted the original photo on WS,please look and tell me if better....and thanks again!
Old 07-24-2003, 12:42 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: TO Greg,Mike and Fil.

Hi Rafi,

To me, yes, the original is the better of the two images, as I said in the critique, having an explore of the many filters that come with Photoshop can be great fun, and lead to some interesting images, some work well, some not so, it's painting filters aren't that good really, which is a surprise considering Photoshop is the premiere imaging programme, you can improve on them by using more than one filter, or adding a texture to the image after applying the filter.

There's also a whole range of filters that can be found for free on the web, just do a Google search for Photoshop filters (or actions), when you find some you like the look of, just copy them into the presets directories.

Finally, if you ever come across a program called Paint, jump at it, this has some very good painting and drawing effects, from pencil, to chalk, right through to oils, that put Photoshop's to shame!
Old 07-24-2003, 02:25 AM
TE Junior Member

I read very carefully all the above....By my humble opinion photography as a medium has nothing to do with all those PS "tricks" and filters...A real photograph is what you see in your camera view finder...All the rest are just lolipops for the novice who things that can create a real photo through PS and toy digital cameras...As you can see in my intro since years now I use to use film cameras, some of them old models dating back to 70's...I am doing that not because I am afraid of new technologies but because I think that a real photo is what a photographer can transfer on the film...As a matter of quality i must admit that the best digital camera of today can achieve something like 30% of a film quality...and if you don't believe me just read digital camera tests on any photo magazine available around...
Digital cameras are useful if you are a war corespondent photographer in the middle of nowhere, or a sports photographer in the World's Cup...And here we are talking about cameras and equipment on the cost level of tens thousants of $$$$...News papers are ready to compromise on pictures quality for the sake of speed....BUT for the quality concern photographer digital cameras are still on "infant" level...Try to sell a digital photograph made bu a consumer oriented digital camera in a magazine and you will see what will be the answer...
I am really sorry if i did hurt you but reality is not always pleasant as it is not the naked truth....
A real photograph has nothing to do with PS manipulation....
Old 07-24-2003, 03:50 AM

I agree and I disagree - I think that PS filters like the one Rafi applied can have uses, but they don't really belong here on TE, IMO.

Digital cameras on the other hand can surpass 35mm these days - at least one camera does, the Canon EOS 1Ds. The EOS 10D is just slightly short of 35mm slide IMO, but lenses are important at that level still.

The lens quality of many of the pro-sumer digitals put 35mm P&S to shame.

I agree there are still some luddite photo-editors out there, and I think that's a shame - but the time has come to embrace new technology...
Old 07-24-2003, 04:19 AM
TE Expert

"Digital cameras on the other hand can surpass 35mm these days - at least one camera does, the Canon EOS 1Ds."

True, but the EOS 1Ds is not a "consumer oriented digital camera".
Old 07-24-2003, 05:08 AM

Memo to self, read all the text before replying...
Old 07-24-2003, 05:15 AM
TE Senior Member

By your logic, Aegean, a photographer must not process their photo. Therefore, somebody like Ansel Adams, is not a real photographer unless he can create his photos only from the camera and only develop them at a one-hour developing station.

After all, PS is the digital photographer's darkroom. So if you say digital manipulation are tricks and for novices, then so is manipulation in the darkroom.

> Digital cameras are useful if you are a war corespondent photographer
> in the middle of nowhere, or a sports photographer in the World's Cup...
Actually these two places are possibly some of the worst situations for digital cameras. In the middle of nowhere you have less access to power supplies & batteries; plus digital cameras are probably more easily broken. In the world cup, you will be able to take much faster pictures with a good film camera than a comparable digital.
> Try to sell a digital photograph made bu a consumer oriented digital camera in a magazine and you will see what will be the answer...

I really doubt this. The magazine will probably ask for a digital copy of your photo and won't care whether or not it originally came from film or not.
Just my opinions...
Old 07-24-2003, 06:18 AM
TE Newbie

I really appreciate all your comments,really do!
George,you didnt hurt my feelings by no means!
How could i get hurt when i learn so much from you guys?
This site (THANKS ADAM!!)and you guys give me so much!
I wouldnt think about another camera few weeks ago and was not even aware that i have a problem,well i knew that my eye is OK but am far behind in technichs,.By looking at your photos i understand alot better what to do and what not.By the way George,do you feel the same about croping?
concerning the cameras i have a qurstion:the Canon EOS 1Ds i cant afford or at least would not at this point and photography level.Canon EOS 10D-thats a possiblility.
Can you tell me your opininion about the Minolta f1?
Old 07-24-2003, 06:45 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: TO Adam,George...Greg,Mike and Fil.

Sorry,i ment the Minolta Dimage 7i.
is it at par with the Canon AOS 10D?
Is more user friendly?
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: TO Adam,George...Greg,Mike,Fil,Rafi....

Minolta Dimage 7i supose to be a very advanced consumer orriented digital camera Rafi...All the tests i have read said that it is a very nice camera with good image quality...But from the other hand it is a pricy camera and not tough enough to be able to stand profesional use conditions...I want to make VERY clear that I have nothing against digital cameras...but (and this is my opinion only) what i think is that with the same price of the Dimage 7i, and maybe less, you can have a film camera of the highest quality i.e Canon EOS1v,Nikon F100,Minolta Dynax 9 etc. plus a couple of lenses...So, i think it is much more logical to have one of these cameras and a good quality scanner and take the advantages of both worlds, digital and conventional...Just think about it:-)
Camera companies are trying to promote their digital products to open new markets and this is logical...The same happens on everything...cel phones etc...So the consumer is pushed to jumb on new products...As I said in my previous posting, pro digital cameras are playing a main role in the news industry for very specific reasons...And there we are talking about cameras with price tags of thousants of $$$$...