Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 07-27-2003, 02:25 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Lowering Workshop Postings -> 2/day

Adam,

The best solution to the space problem is to limit the number of photos in each members portfolio. Some members have way more than a hundred photos posted here, and whilst that's not a bad thing per se, it does consume a disproportionate amount of space.

Here's a suggestion, why don't we purge our accounts? The people who have most to benefit from this are the ones who post rampantly. In time, I think that a limit of about 50 is reasonable. An account can operate like a fifo - with each new submission one drops off - but you have a choice once your account is full of what stays.

I'd also time-limit workshop postings, say, for a month or so. That should give the owner of the original shot enough time to take in suggestions and repost at their discretion.

This is the harsh world of finite disk space guys, solutions are difficult but they are required.

Ron.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:30 AM
TE Expert

"Here's a suggestion, why don't we purge our accounts?"

I do not feel this is necessary. The reason to have these photos is to allow others to learn about the world by browsing photos from specific regions. Everyday, there are many viewers checking out older photos based on specific searches from search engines and links from other sites. By removing older photos this no longer becomes possible.

"I'd also time-limit workshop postings, say, for a month or so. That should give the owner of the original shot enough time to take in suggestions and repost at their discretion."

These workshop postings are not only meant for the original photographer. It is meant for others out there to learn more about the process of making a better photo.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:34 AM
TE Expert

"Another way to limit the space may be to remove old discussions here in the forum. (more then one month old for instance)."

There are many useful discussions that have taken place in the past. Therefore I won't be removing older discussions.

"Another way could be that when you repost a pic the old one could be removed/replaced (mabye you already do that)."

The whole point of re-posts and workshops is to learn about the process of making better photos. By removing the original posts, this no longer becomes possible.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:21 PM

"The best solution to the space problem is to limit the number of photos in each members portfolio."

I totally disagree with this. Some members do a lot more travelling than others, or simply do more photography. In effect this would be forcing established members off the board. Surely not a good idea.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:51 PM
TE Junior Member

I realise that limiting postings would be unpopular, but as I noted, the reality is that disk space is finite and some day Adam may well have no choice. Unfortunately I don't see any other alternatives.

Ron.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:16 PM
TE Expert

"the reality is that disk space is finite and some day Adam may well have no choice."

By limiting daily uploads and maximum space per photo, I am already conserving space. Eventually this site will move to a dedicated server with far more disk space.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:37 AM
TE Junior Member

Fingers crossed. Have you done any calculations to try to project how much space you might need? The number of members has certainly increased a lot even in the last six months.

Keep up the great work.

Ron.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:35 AM
TE Expert

The conclusion I have come to based on my calculations is a move to a dedicated server eventually. So far, so good. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:30 AM
TE Junior Member

Limited posting would be against the geographic base policy of the site. I really appreciate to discover a new part of the world through old postings.

2 WS post/day would be acceptable but could decrease the interest of this place as it's a good process to learn how to improve our technic...

Nevertheless, I guess you already had this in mind Adam. We all appreciate your efforts. That makes this site unique !