Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 08-07-2006, 03:23 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To mpb001: Grainy

Michael,

This photo was scanned from a slide. I scan them in at a high resolution and then re-size them. The origal film may have been 400 speed on this one as well, but in high resolution these look very good. When I resize them they sometimes look very grainy, like this one. I am not sure if scanning them in at the correct size for the website would be better. I will have to give it a try.

I see from your intro that you have used slide film. Any advice that you have about scanning slides will be gladly recieved. I have recently started using photoshop elements, but I used it with this photo and still still have the grainy look.

Thank you for the point and the critique.

Rob
Old 08-13-2006, 06:07 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To mpb001: Grainy

Hello Rob,

For scanning slide film you scan at the highest resolution that you can (which you indicate). I usually scan at 3200 dpi input, sixed 10x15 inches at 300 dpi for output (like a print). Your scanner may have (higher or lower output capabilities).

After I scan the file, I then save a copy in Photoshop and resize it to 800-500 pixels at 72 dpi (for Trekearth). I then make adjustments like contrast, saturation and I then sharpen last. Be careful with both increasing bf saturation and sharpness for slide film because if you add too much of either of these, the grain that is in the film will be more pronounced. So you will have to try out this method. I hope that this is some help.

Mike
Old 08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To mpb001: Grainy

Michael,

Thanks for advice on the scanning process. I had noticed that the order in which each enhancement is done makes a difference in the final out come. After writing to you I tried scanning at a lower resolution and that did not work very well. The advice you have given me here should save me a considerable amount of time when scanning the remainder of my slides.

Thanks,

Rob