Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macondo 2010-08-10 4:37

Hi Peter.

Nice array of timber boats fanned out in the dappled light coming through the trees. The combination of the green and brown tones is very pleasing, mingled with the reflections. The detail in the boats and the buildings and walls behind them is very good. I've heard about this program somewhere recently, but not used it; in fact I've never tried my hand at stitching. It's a pity the upper right side is a bit over-exposed, relatively speaking. I wonder if you could do something with that area using a layer mask, or perhaps crop a little. Perhaps the boats would look better, too, if the ones at the top of the line were closer to the right edge of the picture, but it's hardly important anyway. I notice you took the shots with a very small camera - it's disconcerting when you see so many good shots on TE which did not require a heavy investment in heavy equipment!

Regards,
Andrew

Old 08-11-2010, 12:46 AM
TE Expert

Default To InasiaJones: softness

Hey Andre
yeah, i'm not a big fan of the reduced softness due to the smaller image sizes here on TE - that does bug me.
i'll take a look on the forums
i'm hesitant to do alot of sharpening, as it can sometimes lead to such a fake look
i'll take a look see online here
what photoshop program do you recommend for personal use?
Cheers
craig
Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 AM
TE Expert

Hi Craig,

Just like you, I was often deceived by my images when I was posting them on TE. They would look sharp in Photoshop and on my computer screen, but completely soft once reduced and downloaded on the web.

You will probably be able to find a very simple recipe provided by Luko, consisting of 4 or 5 easy steps to apply. You'll never get fake results with that one, and it will only compensate for the loss of reduced files.

You can see that some members go over the board with sharpness, creating a visible paler outline around every edges, and this is not what you want to get for your images.

Concerning your question about Photoshop, I'm using CS4. CS5 will have to wait for a couple of months...

Cheers!

André