Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

torben 2005-07-15 14:13

In my slow stroll down your theme, I must say that I don't think this one is very good.
The composition looks sloppy with tilt and backwards slant that doesn't really is used for anything obvious.
The tree and the center-piece of the building is grouped very close together, that's not a strong composition in my opinion.
The tree and the building have roughly the same weight in the composition, none of them stand out as the main feature and the viewers interest kinda dissapears in between them.
Some of the parts of this photo are fine, the tree is beautiful, the sign is interesting and the contrast between golden letters and blue sky looks good, but to be honest it looks like you took this photo because your concept said you had to, not because you actually _saw_ a photo there.
Sorry for the hard words but long time ago I made the the decision that I would eventually visit all the stops on your walk down Main Street, no matter what I thought of them, and this one just wasn't my cup of tea.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:26 AM
TE Senior Member

Default To torben: Hard Words

Don't worry about the hard words buddy, I actually concur.

You are right on all fronts there. Even at the time I didn't think this was a great pic, and you're right when you said "it looks like you took this photo because your concept said you had to, not because you actually _saw_ a photo there." That's exactly what happened, I needed a shot of the railway station because it's an important part of the walk, but I was completely stumped as to how to do it.

I have considered deleting this (and quite a few other of the Main St pics actually--but a good handful still stand up I think) but decided to keep it on because all in all this project was a success. Not a success as in that I got shots that perfectly communicated what I saw in the street (in that regards I think that I failed on a few fronts), but it was the first time I sought out something (instead of just seeing, then shooting) and I learned a whole lot. Mostly I learned about my weaknesses.

However since this series I think my work has improved, and so I think that because of this, the Main St series was a success. If I were to do this series again it would be very different---one day I want to do just that.

So again, cheers man for your honesty, keep it up, and a big thanks for continuing your walk down Main!

alex