Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great atlantida 2007-02-15 20:03

Hi Frank,
This food is a specialty here in Macedonia and it's called "Macedonian Sarma". It is made from soar cabbage leaves filled with spiced minced meat and rice. It is cooked in saucepan with some water for 2-3 hours and after that u can put the sarmas in a baking dish and bake them slightely to get some brown-red color on top. My mother makes them mmmmm very delicious. We usually eat this food in winter because of the soar cabage, we have to have a soar cabage first prepared in its own special way and it is only made in autumn to have it for the winter. Did u mean soar cabbage or just a cabbage? We use it instead of regular cabbage for salads.
Anyway, I like your photo, and that food makes my mouth water:))
Best,
Gordana.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
TE Expert

Default To atlantida: Hallo Gordana!

Unfortunately I can't find the translation of the word "soar cabbage" into German. Here we use white cabbage, savoy cabbage or even red cabbage. Well, nevertheless I prefer white cabbage!
Greeting - and a nice weekend!
Frank
Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To atlantida: Hallo Gordana!

It's supposed to be "sour cabbage", but the correct expression would be pickled cabbage. To my knowledge, Sauerkraut is usually shredded before pickling. Gordana is referring to the variety where the cabbage is pickled whole. Is this ever done in Germany?