Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great batalay 2007-05-06 16:18

Hello Lieke,

Being an academic (a university professor) most of my adult life I can see the many positive and negative aspects of prefabricated rooms for students. In this simple but elegant composition you've summed up both the redeeming and the not-so-redeeming. There is the aspect of "sardine-can" existence, but it does provide more security (in Virginia just three weeks ago there was the unspeakable tragedy of over-accessibility, and lack of security).

Regarding you commented about the detail of the "Ex Nihilo," my photograph from the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, when the producers of the 1997 film, "Devil's Advocate," used Frederick Hart's sculptural creation withou his permission, he sued them. A devoutly religious man, he found it to be tasteless and sacreligious. I knew "Rick" Hart, and although I have no religious persuasion, I agreed with him. You can see the full sculpture by clicking on Portal II. Starting as a simple stone cutter, he displayed his extraordinary talent in his thirtees.

Warm regards, and good luck with your university studies.

Bulent

Old 05-07-2007, 08:27 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To batalay: Devil's Advocate

Thank you for responding to one of my photos and the additional note on your Ex Nihilo it was very interesting. :)

Wow, I didn't know it was actually the same piece as used in the movie. Eventhough used without permission (to which I agree: is wrong!) I do love the sculpture. Even without the movie you can still sense a sort of motion in the sculpture which I think is just a great achievement for an artist (to have a 'silent' sculpture express and move so much it almost becomes a statement).

It is funny you should mention the (lack of) security on school campusses. What happened in Virginia is just a tragedy that should obviosly never ever happen again. But creating a campus here in Utrecht's neighbourhood the Uithof, it became more and more secrue. When I started my studies around 5 yrs ago, there was a serial rapist active in the area. Not such a nice thing to come across when you had late night classes and were riding home by bike. Because of the immense increase of student housing in the area, there is just so much more social control and comfort.
No one has heard of this rapist for the past 4 years, before that he was active for about EIGHT years!

Regards,
Lieke