Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ribeiroantonio 2008-04-22 18:24

I do prefer the original picture which gives more importance to the glacier. However, the cropped version is also good and the vertical frame worked well. What I notice here is that this glacier seams not being braking off as much as, for example, the San Rafael in Chile. I do not see many icebergs floating around as in here.
Antonio

Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
TE Newbie

Default To ribeiroantonio: icebergs

Hello Antonio, thanks for your comments, as for the icebergs, i have a theory, there are other glaciers in this National park that do have more icebergs from photos i've seen, but unlike the Perito Moreno those are floating glaciers, so it may happen that besides the ice falling from the wall, also sometimes big chunks of ice just break off and form an iceberg that starts floating around. The Perito Moreno instead is not floating as the ice goes down about 700m below the surface at the deepest part, so when pieces of the front wall break off they fall into the lake and get shattered into small pieces. I might be wrong but i think it makes sense if the San Rafael is floating too which i don't know

regards
Allen