Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great pamastro 2005-01-27 18:20

Beautiful night shot, Geoffrey. The lighting is beautiful. And it's great to see they finally got the scaffolding down off the columns on the right. I have this scene during the day from the top of the Capitoline. What you have here is actually outside the old Roman Forum and is the Theater of Marcellus on the left and the columns of the Temple of Saturn on the right. I like the way the facade of the theater sweeps into the shot directly at the columns. And it's a nice job using a railing. Perhaps a few areas could be fixed in photoshop, such as the bright light. And perhaps it could be skewed a bit to make the columns straight. But I really like how you've captured the broken facade and temple, giving such a sad feel to these once grand monuments.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:45 AM
TE Newbie

Default To pamastro: Thanks!

Thanks for your comment and good words. I actually tried straightening the photo in Photoshop and discovered, to my surprise, that the columns were leaning and not my camera! It's certainly strange; they seem to slant progressively as they go. Thanks for the explanation on what the ruins actually were. It's something I should've jotted down at the time.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:20 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To pamastro: Thanks!

About the columns. It actually isn't something corrected with tilting but by stretching the top of the image using the skew tool in Photoshop. I'll do a workshop on it a little later to show you what I mean.

Were you in Rome on a school related trip or a personal trip? Either way it must have been interesting to be there in winter. It certainly is a different experience than what the summer offers.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:32 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks for the upcoming workshop. I was there with a few friends for New Year's. It was a great time. I plan on going back this or next summer for a film direction workshop in Florence. I've been studying Italian to prepare. There were certainly (or, at least, I would assume) fewer tourists in the winter time, and it wasn't terribly cold at all. We had a few cloudly days but nothing intolerable. It was really excellent. I'm excited to see it in the summer though.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:23 AM
TE Senior Member

Studying film direction in Florence should be great. I'm guessing you have been taking Italian at UofM. It's a great program with good professors that really prepare you well to get into speaking over there.

And you certainly can expect more tourists in the summer. On peak summer travel days up to 2000 tour buses arrive in Florence.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:32 AM
TE Newbie

I love the Italian department here. All of my professors have been excellent. How long ago were you here, if you don't mind me asking? If you were here recently, you may have had or at least known of Ivano Presciutti. He's my professor right now, and my favorite so far.

Sounds like Florence can be a bit of a hassle. It seemed like there were a lot of tourists in the winter, so I can only imagine what the place turns into in the summer. It didn't ruin any experiences, and I was just as much of a tourist as they were, but it just seemed like a lot of people didn't have the proper respect for some of the places we went to. I would hate to see more of that.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:39 AM
TE Senior Member

I graduated just over 1 year ago, actually. I have heard of Ivano but never had him. I had Eva for my first class. I can't remember her last name since we always went by her first name. My second class was with an Italian, Guglielmo. I'm not sure if he was here from Italy for just a year or if he's still there. My last two classes were with Prof. Spalaich, a tough professor but very good. From what I have heard I don't think you can go wrong with choosing a professor in that department.