Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great corjan3 2011-03-17 12:21

Hello Bulent,
This is a beautiful image accompanied by a wonderful note. Thank you! I know this is not about Newton, quite the contrary, but it is amazing how he and others (almost) like him still pervade our existence. Quoting from memory here:

"Science and science's laws were hid in night,
and God said "Let Newton be",
and all was light". - His epitaph.

And newton himself said "I was like a child playing at the seashore, picking up pebbles" - also from memory. Please excuse if not absolutely verbally accurate.

Thank you.
Neels

Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
TE Expert

Default To corjan3: Newton's epitaph

Hello Neels,

Thank you very much for the note on the "Mathematical Bridge" at Cambridge. The place is magical, and in my last post, View of the Cam, I cited the couplet by Pope. It is not the actual epitaph that his found at Newton's crypt in Westminster Abbey, but it is much more memorable than that epitaph. The couplet is found among other places in the room where he was born in Woolsthorpe Manor.

I'm impressed that you are knowledgeable about the man, whom I believe is unrivaled as the greatest scientist in history.

Bulent