Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great macjake 2019-04-21 23:37

Hi John
what the heck??? I wasn't expecting to see this snow, given the fact you took this photo a couple weeks ago. I'm about to ask an ignorant question...you said "these ladies" in your note, how can you tell they're female, or are you just using the 'these ladies' loosely. Seems like one of them has your attention. Glad you included a lot of the bg scenery, the snow piling up on the branches are a good addition. Lets hope for warmer temps! cheers
Craig

Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 AM
TE Expert

Default To macjake: Weather......and sheep....

Hi Craig,

Thank you again for your kind words!

Yes, I'm guessing that the weather in Vancouver is probably about as crazy as it can be here in Scotland. Just two or three weeks ago we had freezing weather with snow (as in the photo) but yesterday it was 24°C here and people were walking around in shorts and T-shirts. I suppose that's what comes from living not very far from the sea.

Yep, I think those sheep are "ladies" - i.e. ewes - and I rather suspect that they are probably around one year old and the farmer is probably planning to get them well fed over the summer so they can breed later in the year to produce lambs in the following spring. In this part of Scotland most sheep living on the hills (i.e. exposed to cold weather and poor grassland) will have their lambs from early April to May whereas sheep in warmer climes with better feeding will have them earlier - such as late February or early March. Knowing that the gestation period of these animals is about 17 weeks, a farmer will decide when to allow his ewes to mate with the rams so that the lambs are born at a suitable time.

Anyway, if you look at the ram in the top picture on this page, you will see that he's got much heavier horns than the sheep in my picture. And you might just be put to shame when you look further back and see the size of his scrotum. These guys can apparently "serve" up to 100 ewes in a session - and such is their charm that they don't have to waste time buying them expensive jewellery, exotic holidays or fancy meals out in posh restaurants! The guys just go for it.

Cheers,

John.